Are there any successful upgrades to 11.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NineFingers

Explorer
I'm badly wanting to upgrade from 11.0-U4 to 11.1, but all I'm seeing are "issues"... has anybody been successful at the upgrade??

hescominsoon

Patron
absolutely yes. the vast majority are successful..you just see the cases were it didn't go well..this does not reflect the vast majority of cases as long as the documentation is followed.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm badly wanting to upgrade from 11.0-U4 to 11.1, but all I'm seeing are "issues"... has anybody been successful at the upgrade??
I'm just curious, but why be in such a hurry?
Very few people post about having no issues after a successful update.

NineFingers

Explorer
Anxious because I'd heard that a new version of Plex was coming available under the new FreeNAS jails setup... that's the feature I'm eager to see.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Anxious because I'd heard that a new version of Plex was coming available under the new FreeNAS jails setup... that's the feature I'm eager to see.
You have backups of your critical files BEFORE you update, right.
I like Plex too but I'm gonna wait about another 3 weeks until I update ;)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm still running 9.10 and have the newest Plex version. Upgrading has nothing to do with Plex version.

danb35

Hall of Famer
the vast majority are successful
...and you know this how?

I wouldn't say one way or the other what "most" people have experienced, but I know I'm running into issues with scrubs, and I also know I'm not the only one.

hescominsoon

Patron
...and you know this how?

I wouldn't say one way or the other what "most" people have experienced, but I know I'm running into issues with scrubs, and I also know I'm not the only one.
more than two decades of experience with software and it in general..plus running two successful companies..etc etc. Most times folks are not going to post about successful anything on a vendors page..it is either questions or problems..that's just how it is. If the upgrade was that terrible freenas has a good record of either pulling the problem update..posting how to fix it(including rollback)..or updating the code. Until freenas does something to break that cycle in a negative way, I am relying on personal experience plus the long established track record of freenas personnel in how they handle things to prevail. I am not discounting those that do have issues..they exist..but to automatically claim that a vast majority of folks are having this problem is simply not borne out by a low percentage of users who post on the vendor's forums.

danb35

Hall of Famer
to automatically claim that a vast majority of folks are having this problem
I don't think anyone is claiming this, and it would be irresponsible to do so. But it's also irresponsible to say, based on no evidence other than your hunch, that the vast majority of folks are doing fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
11.1 changes a lot of things, so it's breaking a bit more than your typical update. Most of it should be fixed in 11.1-U1 in the coming weeks.

Hisma

Explorer
its working fine for me except for the VM feature. If you are running 11.0 and have a VM running successfully, I'd hold off till they iron out the issues related to that.

Wouter

Dabbler
Yesterday I upgraded from FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 to FreeNAS 11.1 with succes. Installation, reboot and again reboot for configuration took me about 30 minutes. I had/have a encrypted zpool. I chose to do the upgrade via downloading the ISO and using a 4GB USB drive for the installation. I used this manual: http://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html#upgrading

Some thoughts:
* adding VM's via the beta interface was not possible for me; I could not find the add button :). I did this via the old interface, with success. Its not very very easy, cause there's no wizard. But with some virtualization and network knowledge, one can manage. This will help: http://doc.freenas.org/11/vms.html
* adding a VM without having a zvol ready, did not result in an error; it took me some time to realize and fix this. I think it's a bug :).
* I never saw a graph of my CPU temperature in 9.10.X , now there is: CPU temperature in Reporting -> CPU
* now my boot disks (two USB thumb drivers) are mentioned in Storage -> View disks

What is NOT working for me in 11.1 is entering a LUKS passphrase in a Ubuntu 17.10 installation in the bhyve VM. Just no characters were entered during this time/menu, whatever key I pressed on my keyboard. This sucks. I removed the VM and I did the installation of the Ubuntu 17.10 again, now without LUKS encryption.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wouter

Dabbler
its working fine for me except for the VM feature. If you are running 11.0 and have a VM running successfully, I'd hold off till they iron out the issues related to that.
Can you please elaborate what is not working in the VM feature?

INCSlayer

Contributor
i upgraded mine and it works i have even migrated my jails including my vpn ones over to iocage

majerus

Contributor
absolutely yes. the vast majority are successful..you just see the cases were it didn't go well..this does not reflect the vast majority of cases as long as the documentation is followed.

Based on Reddit and here it seems there is good reason to wait on u1. What do you mean as long as the documentation is followed?

Inxsible

Guru
11.1 changes a lot of things, so it's breaking a bit more than your typical update. Most of it should be fixed in 11.1-U1 in the coming weeks.
That's why I intend to upgrade only if there is a feature in that upgrade that I absolutely must have. At the same time, I try not to get too far behind such that the next upgrade is PITA because of a huge number of changes. It's a delicate balance. ;)

Hisma

Explorer
Can you please elaborate what is not working in the VM feature?
The VM would crash (stop) randomly, and it also seemed to impact the performance of my entire system by consuming heavy resources, as though it was causing some sort of memory leak. I did not have this problem in 11.0. Since disabling the VM and rebooting my system has become stable once more. Outside of the VM issues 11.1 has worked great.

I did not bother to investigate a root cause because I just moved the VM to another machine, and I also saw this was affecting other people (from checking on here and reddit). Hopefully someone has properly filed a bug report on this problem so it's fixed in U-1.

My updates to 11.1 have went 50% good 50% troublesome... My system that I don't use VMs on works fine with 11.1, storage is great for my use pattern there. My other 'Hypervisor' system I use VMs on has issues with VNC looking garbled for all VMs (Linux and Windows VMs) plus in 11.1 MAC addresses are different (regenerate and does each reboot until forced by inputting ones in the UI, 11.1-U1 is supposed to fix that in some way). It is a DHCP IP allocation nightmare (one VM of mine has a license allocated based on MAC, so I need to record MACs in 11.0 first and force the old MAC addresses in 11.1 manually I guess). I am hoping the 11.1-U1 update fixes VNC since I have no viable way to report it with a reproduction case, another person responded to my post about it having the same issue so I have some faith it'll be worked out and isn't just me. The more stuff you use outside the basic NAS feature the more risk I guess of running into an issue, seems the VM stuff bit me in the butt.

hescominsoon

Patron
I have two machines that i have upgraded without incident to 11.1. I am not running any vm's on those machines..simply using them as file storage.

hippy1970

Cadet
I upgraded my Supermicro server to 11.1 and it seemed ok. For about an hour. Then the entire server froze. All disk activity ceased and I had to hard reboot. Again everything seemed fine for approximately an hour. When it locked up again I reverted to 11.0U4.
After a week I reinstalled the update and tried again. Exactly the same thing happened. I'll try again when the next update is released.

For the record the Server is dual AMD Opteron hex core with 48GB ECC RAM and 20 x 3TB drives in a 4 x 5 disk RAIDZ2 VDEV config.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.