aProblem with Windows Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffaloeb23

Cadet
I am a newbie with Freenas. I have a simple home network. I am running 1 box with windows XP, 1 box with Ubuntu and 2 laptops with Windows 7. I installed FreeNAS with a 2 HD drive setup. I have been able to install FreeNAS and have it running. I used the GUI to first set up a volume. Then I set a group (BufStorage) and then I set up a user (User1). I gave User1 a password. I made User1 part of BufStorage and gave the group Write permissions. I used the GUI to create a Windows Share which I called WmStorage and I turned on the CIFS service.
The problem is logging in from the Windows machines. They both have the same problem. I am able to navigate to FreeNas\BufStorage which I click on and then the connect to localhost box comes up. I enter User1 as the user and I enter the password. The login just comes back up. I do not get any error messages but I do not get a connection. Any assistance would be appreciated.

FireBIade

Dabbler
Windows can be a bit funny with authentication. When the login prompt comes up try sticking in the IP address of the FreeNas box in the username field as well like the example below. That way Windows knows where it's got to go to authenticate.

10.0.0.1\user1

buffaloeb23

Cadet
Thanks for your response. I tried your suggestion. Unfortunately that didn't resolve the problem. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.