Application catalogs from Truecharts

ZombieHorde

Dabbler
This may have already been answered elsewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it. I'm wondering what the reasoning is for providing an official charts version of the catalog for applications with a small subset of docker images as opposed to the community edition from TrueCharts directly? Is there a problem with adding and installing applications from the TrueCharts stable catalog? Is this a question I should even be asking? :wink:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
This may have already been answered elsewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it. I'm wondering what the reasoning is for providing an official charts version of the catalog for applications with a small subset of docker images as opposed to the community edition from TrueCharts directly? Is there a problem with adding and installing applications from the TrueCharts stable catalog? Is this a question I should even be asking? :wink:
TrueCharts catalog is setup as an ecosystem of applications that can use traefik as a proxy and wireguard VPN per application.

The official catalog is a base set of application that the iX engineering team maintain. Its lighter weight and intended to be supportable for iX customers and easy to use for simpler use-cases.

IX is happy whether you use TrueCharts or the official catalog. The differences are subtle, but significant. The diversity of TrueCharts applications is much larger and they have a much larger team working on the Apps.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I will also point out that the iX repo of charts is fully open source and contributions are welcome! We're working on adding another half-dozen or so apps in the coming months, but if community folks want to contribute things earlier, please feel free!

truecharts

Guru
TrueCharts catalog is setup as an ecosystem of applications that can use traefik as a proxy and wireguard VPN per application.

There indeed are a multitude of differences, networking, vpn support, storage backend and permission setup...

We also try to implement features known from kubernetes that almost no user would be using at this stage, just because we know they will be usefull once clustering hits: Network Policies, horizontal pod scaling etc.

But also things like trying to stay somewhat close to things people with kubernetes experience should, more easily, be able to recognise in terms of wording and structure.
Its lighter weight and intended to be supportable for iX customers and easy to use for simpler use-cases.

To clearify: while the catalog is "lighter weight" (aka: smaller), the Apps themselves are about the same...

The differences are subtle, but significant. The diversity of TrueCharts applications is much larger and they have a much larger team working on the Apps.

This is an important point you make here Morgan, something often underestimated:
iX has to pay their employees and we work on a donation basis for fun-and-skills, mostly.

Our maintainer hours are, by estimate and average, about 4-8 times the hours iX can put into their catalog in terms of manpower. This tends to add up expodentially because many of those hours are spend on building our release pipeline, which is how we can support so many apps. Because, generally speaking, our required-dev-time-per-app is lower :)
I will also point out that the iX repo of charts is fully open source and contributions are welcome!

Same goes for us as well, we actually have to rely on that quite heavily :)

We're working on adding another half-dozen or so apps in the coming months, but if community folks want to contribute things earlier, please feel free!

How cute!
Look at our secret project to add 600+ new Apps in the comming months