Anyone know of an Offsite rsync guide for noob?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexc40

Cadet
Hi guys
Been using freenas on an HP microserver in our office for just over a year now. Our ZFS data pool has 3x 2TB drives and 8gb ram.
I've built an identical machine with the idea of having a disaster proof solution so if the building at work burns down (or some other disaster) then we still have our data stored on a machine at my house.

I want the machine to do an rsync copy every night so it doesn't interfere with our work during the day, I've seen this documentation in the freenas guide http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Rsync_Tasks but it doesn't describe too well how to get the data to copy to an offsite freenas server.

I tried to setup the two machines side by side for the first rsync but with the lack of a progress bar I couldn't tell if what I'd done was working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting nervous about my data now!

Thanks

Alex

JaimieV

Guru
Set up the two machines side by side, and rsync a small folder to make sure it all works. Yep, there's no progress bar - you'll have to eyeball the destination machine's contents to make sure it's there.

Then move the machine offsite, *preferably* to a location that you already have network access to. Change the destination hostname if necessary for the new location. Rerun the test - it should Just Work. There's no difference to rsync whether the servers are local or remote.

(If you need to set up network access, that's a whole topic in itself not connected with rsync - look into ssh tunnelling or setting up a VPN)

alexc40

Cadet
Hi Jaimie
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll go do some more research in to ssh tunnelling and vpn's to try and work out which is right for me.
I wish it was slightly easier, freenas lists offsite replication / snapshots and rsync as some of the main features on the home page but the implementation seems overly cryptic in places :) although as its free I shouldn't complain!

Thanks again!

Alex

JaimieV

Guru
Yeah - you're expected to supply the networking yourself! It's not a self-contained "plug and play" service, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.