How to set up an automated local backup? ...and general suggestions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaar

Cadet
I've just set up a box and installed FreeNas 8.3.1 and got it running. I'm a complete newb to all of this, so please forgive me in advance. I'm slowly learning this as I go.

I have 4 trayless hotswap bays on the front of my machine, and want to put 3 1TB drives in the top 3, and a 2TB drive in the bottom one. I'm assuming RAIDZ1 is my best option for the 3x 1TB's, effectively giving me 2TB of space. I'd like that lone 2TB drive in the 4th bay to hold a full copy of the data on the 3 1tb raid. I want to pop out the 2tb drive in the 4th bay on a regular schedule (weekly, for example), then I'd like the drive i pop back in its place to be updated with the latest files, and repeat. (offsite backup - i will store the exchanged drive in a firesafe)

Is freenas a good solution for what I'm trying to do here? These are important files i like to have accessible to the network such as family photos, home videos, and a general network share of files my family and I use and work with. I'm lucky I haven't had a drive fail in the last 6 years of storage, and I'm wanting to take a forward action and protect myself in case of a failure. I always want to make sure I have a safe and complete copy on an extra hard drive incase of an emergency such as the house burning down, or natural disaster, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.