Anyone else with a failed update to 11.2?

Nightowl805

Explorer
I tried today going from 11.1 u5 to 11.2 within FreeNAS using the regular update process. Wouldn't boot. At to roll back to 11.1 u5. Any thoughts? Just try again?

Follow-up. In my boot menu inside of Freenas it shows 11.2-Beta1 "On Reboot" There is no delete option and it won't reboot on it's own to a working copy unless I manually chose a different option on start-up? Any idea on what to do next?

Last edited:

Nightowl805

Explorer
Don't know if this will help anyone or just make them go crazier lol

So I finally got it to work but I had to go to the Nightlies 11.2 version. It rebooted twice. The second time for whatever reason the font on the monitor was much smaller but it booted the regular way and I was able to log in.

I see the new GUI. The Log-in main page shows-FreeNAS-11.2-MASTER-201807090436.

I am not sure if I need to leave it on nightlies now or if I can go back to the 11.2 stable train?

Last edited:

Philip Robar

Contributor
Updating from 11.1u5 to 11.2-beta1 failed for me. I don't even get a boot menu so there's no way to roll back.

D

dlavigne

So I finally got it to work but I had to go to the Nightlies 11.2 version.
I see the new GUI. The Log-in main page shows-FreeNAS-11.2-MASTER-201807090436.
I am not sure if I need to leave it on nightlies now or if I can go back to the 11.2 stable train?

You won't be able to go back to a stable train from a nightly. You can instead choose to reboot into a stable boot environment and try again.

Please report any upgrade errors to bugs.freenas.org so we can sort out the issue. You'll need to include a debug in your report so the dev can figure out the cause of the failure.

Rickinfl

Contributor
I just updated mine. It takes a long time to update I also thought it wouldn't boot and was stuck. From the looks of it the update modifies the ZFS so that takes some time it also reboots a few times. Not sure if that helps just thought I'd pass along the information so nobody reboots it while it's trying to update file system because that may cause issues or corrupt the file system.

wintered

Cadet
Finished the update to 11.2, but no internet. Looks like dhclient is failing to start :(

tprelog

Patron
I upgrade from 11.1-U5 to 11.2 with no issues. However when I tried to do a clean install the installation will not detect any internal drives to install FreeNAS on

wblock

Documentation Engineer
@tprelog, is that on the hardware in your signature? Which disk controller are those drives attached to?

tprelog

Patron
@tprelog, is that on the hardware in your signature? Which disk controller are those drives attached to?
@wblock I'm setting up a FreeNAS server for a friend of mine. He is using this SuperMicro X10SL7-F. The target installation media was a pair of SSD that I tried connecting to the SATA3 and also tried the SATA2 ports. There are 8 WD Red drives populating the SAS ports to be configured as ZRaid 2.
Using the 11.2 Beta ISO... At the screen to select a destination to install FreeNAS none of the 10 connected drives showed up. The list was completely empty.

I used an older install CD I had laying around ( 11.1-U2 ) and at the screen to select a destination, all 10 connected drives did appear. I proceeded to install version 11.1-U2 without issue and immediately updated to 11.1-U5. From that point a switched to the 11.2-stable train and again updated without issue.

Here's quick specs I copied from product page

Chipset
  • Intel® C222 Express PCH
SATA
  • SATA3 (6Gbps) w/ RAID 0, 1
  • SATA2 (3Gbps) w/ RAID 0, 1, 5, 10
SAS
  • SAS2 (6Gbps) via Broadcom 2308
  • SW RAID 0, 1, 1E, 10 support
The server in my sig is my main NAS for my house. I do plan to update to 11.2-Beta but not till this weekend when I have time fix if I run into issues.

Philip Robar

Contributor
Updating from 11.1u5 to 11.2-beta1 failed for me. I don't even get a boot menu so there's no way to roll back.

Turns out that my Lenovo ThinkServer's BIOS was quite old, but updating to the latest (dated 5/2018) didn't help.

Last edited:

Nightowl805

Explorer
A final update lol. It is possible I guess that my failed update attempts were just me not being patient enough, possible but I don't think so. There is no way to delete a "Boot" option in the GUI if it says the version will be updated on reboot. A closed loop. gets stuck on a reboot, reboot into a previous installation but can't delete the "boot" that is supposed to be upgraded.

I was however successful upgrading from 11.1 u5 to the 11.2 nightlies on one try thus bypassing the 11.2 beta "Stuck Boot". Once I was in the 11.2 nightly train I was able to delete the 11.2 beta version as it was no longer saying it would be activated on reboot and just looked like a previous installation.

I didn't want to stay on the "Nightly" train for updates but you can not go backwards in a "Train" only forward E.g. going from 11.1 back to 9.3. So once again I had to boot into my previous 11.1 U5 installation. I could now see the 11.2 nightly edition but it wasn't activated as I was currently in the 11.1 U5 version. I then deleted the nightly version and once again tried the 11.2 beta update. This time it updated correctly. Long story, hope it helps someone.

tprelog

Patron
@wblock Just wanted to let you know I updated the BIOS on my friends SuperMicro X10SL7-F. This seems to have resolved my previous issue. I am now presented with all 10 connected drives at the screen to choose install location as expected. The rest of the installation has also gone as expected.
Clean install of 11.2-Beta1 up and running!

tdscrna

Cadet
Updated from 11.1 U6.3 to 11.2. Complete fail. Could not access drives over my network. On my browser login screen all I got was "system failure." Glad I did a backup first. Downloaded a new 11.1 iso, reburned a USB and had to start over. After 2 hours I'm running again. Scared me though, afraid I would lose 8TB of data. Don't think I'll be using 11.2.