Any way to make a drive(ZFS) unbootable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahan

Cadet
Let me preface this by saying, I know freenas recommends new hardware and there are risks with my setup but I'm not really holding any sensitive data in my NAS and only using it as a media server.

So I've had this laptop for awhile where the screen and the HDMI port of the laptop was not working. I wanted to put it to use and make it into a NAS for streaming and downloading media, so I flashed a copy of freenas 9.10 to a USB drive using my desktop machine(using a vm) and plugged it into my laptop(had no internal hard drive) and got it to work. Then i added a external hard drive to the laptop and am using it happily :)

But i wanted to check if I take the external drive out of the enclosure and add it inside my laptop, if that would work. But sadly it didn't and I'm sure it's because the laptop is trying to boot from the internal hard drive.

So the question is if i can somehow set the internal drive to not be bootable so that the system will skip and boot from the usb. Or is this undo-able and I should stick with the external enclosure.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Bhoot

Patron
You can switch the boot order from your bios.

Sahan

Cadet
Can't access/see laptop boot sequence to change boot order since the laptop monitor doesn't work + HDMI port is also not working

snaptec

Guru
When you try to boot from a zfs data disk you get an error similar to " this is a data disk can't boot"
Try to find someone with a identical notebook and do the change boot order blind or get some hardware...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Sahan

Cadet
When you try to boot from a zfs data disk you get an error similar to " this is a data disk can't boot"
Try to find someone with a identical notebook and do the change boot order blind or get some hardware...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Damn! that's too bad :\ Thanks nonetheless

Status
Not open for further replies.