SOLVED Any significant difference between WD Red & Seagate IW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWasp

Dabbler
I'm looking to buy 4 new drives 4TB drives to complement 2 Seagate desktop drives ST4000DM000 I already have (and plan to wipe).
I see very little difference between
WD Red 4TB ( WD40EFRX)
and
Seagate IronWolf (ST4000VN008)
Aside from RPM 5400 for WD and 5900 for the Seagate.

Is there any reason I should choose one over the other (bearing in mind the 2 I already have)?
Or should I just go for whichever I can find the cheapest.

Also open to other 4TB suggestions

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Right now, at $129.99 each on Amazon, the previous generation Seagate 4TB NAS drives are a much better deal than the WD Reds or the IronWolfs. I'd be willing to place a small bet on there being no technical difference between them and the IronWolf 4TB drives, and they're what I would buy if I were buying today.

Stux

MVP
Not enough long term data to tell anything meaningful, so if you have no biases it comes down to cost vs warranty.

I picked up 8 of the 4TB Seagate NAS-HDs with 5 year warranty for significantly less than WD reds.

I'm operating on the principle that Seagate must've worked out how to make an HD again after the 1.5 and 3TB debacles

They've been great so far.

Scharbag

Guru
Not enough long term data to tell anything meaningful, so if you have no biases it comes down to cost vs warranty.

I picked up 8 of the 4TB Seagate NAS-HDs with 5 year warranty for significantly less than WD reds.

I'm operating on the principle that Seagate must've worked out how to make an HD again after the 1.5 and 3TB debacles

They've been great so far.
Debacles is a great way to describe the 1.5TB and 3TB drives...

I have been using the DM version of the 4TB drive for a while and they have been rock solid. So, I think Seagate may have figured their issues out.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.