SOLVED any reason to expect faster transfers to client with intel ethernet controller (rather than realtek)?

guermantes

Patron
My Freenas (X11SSM-F) has an Intel® i210-AT controller. My desktop has a Realtek chip (10-year old x58 board). I have no problems transferring files, no connection problems etc, but iperf can't get above 72 MB/s transfer speed. Fair enough and not I am not complaning.

But now that I am planning a new desktop build, I do not know if I should target boards with Intel gigabit controllers or not. Do I have any reason to think my current speed cap would likely be due to the Realtek chip? Or might it rather be due to the 2 x 10 metres CAT6 cables connected by a consumer Netgear 5port gigabit switch?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Realtek is a likely culprit for at least some of the performance limitations, but Windows clients generally behave a bit better than 70ish MB/s.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
2 x 10 metres CAT6 cables connected by a consumer Netgear 5port gigabit switch?
It "should" not be that. Cables can get damaged very easily, but the specification of Cat6 is to carry Gigabit over 100 metres. Check for signs of damage.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Realtek on the FreeNAS side would be Really Bad. Realtek on the Windows side is more of a matter of specific chipset, subrevision, and driver version, but I've definitely seen it be a limiting factor. This does not mean it is your limiting factor, but it quite possibly is, as the Realteks tend to be more demanding of the CPU and your system is 10 years old and therefore a little slower.

If you really wanted to know, it's best to pop for an inexpensive Intel desktop ethernet card for your current machine and do the comparison. Make sure you get a legit card, should be in the $30 range.

guermantes

Patron
Epilogue:
I decided to make it a factor when choosing mobo so I went with an cheap X470 board featuring an Intel I211-AT chip and I couldn't be happier. Transfer speeds jumped (I confused my units above) from 720 mbps to 950 mbps. :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Awesome. We're all very disappointed in the low end PC hardware, as you can imagine, but the low opinion has a solid basis in experiences like yours. The modest price differential in getting a decent ethernet controller is really worth it.