SOLVED Another "You need permission to perform this action"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk

Patron
This is wearing me down. Have spent three weekends now working out bugs and kinks.

The newest is trying to copy media to the server share from my client. I map a network drive to the share (giving it the credentials of the user on freenas) and it opens up a Windows explorer box showing the contents. At that point I can play a movie, but not move it or copy content to the server getting the error in the title above.

The dataset has read write and execute permissions for myself (the owner and group i'm in) that mapped the drive.

Not sure where else to look.

Thanks in advance

Dirk

Patron
Thanks for stepping up m0nkey. I had already viewed the video before posting as it was one of the things that came up in my searches. I have now gone over it three times checking all things covered and the problem still persists.

Something I should mention in case it has some bearing, FreeNAS is running Active Directory

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So assign proper owners to the datasets, reset permissions to default, and do what you'd do on Windows Server.

Dirk

Patron
So assign proper owners to the datasets, reset permissions to default, and do what you'd do on Windows Server.

Thanks for stopping by Eric. Permissions have been reset, but not sure what you mean by assign PROPER owners to the datasets. I have one user and one group (not going to make it anymore complex than I have to untill bugs are worked out)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
assign PROPER owners to the datasets
It's a question only you can answer. Who should own the datasets being shared? Just don't say root.

Dirk

Patron
Well I tried resetting the permissions, and assigned the domain admin (me) as the owner of them. Same result. I can map one of the datasets to my client (i'm logged into it as that domain admin).

I can map to that one of three datasets and have write privilege. The other two result in you do not have permission. This would lead one to compare the settings on the good and failing shares and datasets. After a couple of hours I can find nothing different.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well I tried resetting the permissions, and assigned the domain admin (me) as the owner of them.
Did you assign the owner and then reset permissions?

Dirk

Patron
Yes Eric, did it twice last night and once before. However. Something must have caught up either in Active Directory, or Freenas as I did it again tonight and have write access on all four datasets. Thank you for helping. I now have a problem with Sonarr not importing with and access denied error after the downloaded is completed but I'm not going to hang that here.

One last thing for my FYI, how do I mark this solved?

Last edited:

blue_ice

Dabbler
Hi

Same error here, but SMB was working fine until I installed some script, now the explorer sees the resources but it can't access into them, I tried from my Pc and Android device.
I created a new dataset but it doesn't work either.

Code:
new dataset created permissions:

[root@freenas /mnt/Volumen1]# getfacl test111/								 
# file: test111/																
# owner: nobody																 
# group: wingroup															   
		   owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow								 
		   group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow								 
		everyone@:r-x---a-R-c---:fd-----:allow								 

Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
One last thing for my FYI, how do I mark this solved?

Click "edit title" towards top of thread, then mark as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.