Win8 "You need permission to perform this action"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregster

Cadet
Hi, please help, I've done a lot of Googling on this but still not getting it right: I keep on getting the above error from win 8.1 when trying to access a Freenas-Windows share... I am totally confused as to why doesn't seem to work.

Share is from a Win8 box to freenas.

Here is what I have setup:

On Freenas:
  • Storage
    • Share type: UNIX (it's large 1.9tb) as I understand it I can't simply changes this to windows without causing havoc.
    • Case Sensitivity: Sensitive
    • Enable atime: On (what is this)
    • Advanced mode options: Default
  • Storage permissions:
    • Apply owner user - checked
    • Owner : greg
    • Apply owner group: checked
    • Apply mode: checked
  • Mode:
    • Owner: Read,write, execute
    • Group: Read,write,execute
    • Other: Read, write-No,execute (If I try to change "write" here in the web-frontend it is ignored and defaults to unchecked)
  • Sharing: Ciffs
    • Use as home share - unchecked
    • Name: sharename
    • Apply default permissions: Checked
I am able to connect as read-only from windows with no problems, I'm setting up a share using other credentials with the user account login info, it will allow me to view but I can not edit in any way. So I'm guessing it's seeing the connection as "other"

Why if I'm logging in with the credentials from the windows share does it revert me to other?

I have another machine that I connect to this share from and it works flawlessly ...

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions,

Thank you

Gregster

Cadet
Hi, I'm afraid not ... in the end I opted to throw security out of the window since it's a home network. Far from ideal but the frustration was destroying my patience to find a solution :P

Status
Not open for further replies.