Another noob building first system

Status
Not open for further replies.

scwst

Explorer
Hello forum,

After months of lurking, reading technical posts, and annoying my immediate surroundings with arcane discussions about various RAID levels and the dangers of bit rot, I've finally taken the jump and am building my own FreeNAS system. I come from a proud 6502 background (currently writing my own Forth for the 65816), started with Linux via a tower of floppies because I couldn't afford a "real" operating system (that sounds weird today), and now have a Xubuntu multiseat system as a main machine ("multiseat" is code for "I got tired of my kids hogging my computer for Minecraft all the time").

My first experience with a NAS came when a friend talked me into buying a Synology DS411+ to replace my own jury-rigged Linux server. I honestly cannot say anything bad about the little four-bay box: Maybe it was a bit slow, but it just sat in the corner for years and years, did its job and never gave me any trouble at all. However, after realizing that the really important data in my life - the early pictures of my kids - was now over ten years old, I started worrying about things like bit rot. This led me to ZFS, which led me to FreeBSD, which led me to FreeNAS, which led me here.

So a big thank you for all the documentation and howtos on this site. All that effort you've put it is making a real difference, and I for one couldn't have done what I am doing without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.