Hi, noob questions.

Johnnydement

Cadet
Greetings all,

I'm in the process of triing TrueNAS for my home server.

I had a synology Play 415, worked well, but was struggling a bit with 4K movies, and I wanted to be able to install docker, that, in just that one hardware, was impossible.

So I moved to a xeon 15y system on a Node 304, but was I wanted it to run minecraft for my kids and so... I went with windows... and well, it doesn't quite make me happy ;)

Now, I'm deciding which TrueNAS flavour pick. I think I've got more than enough with core, but there's a very concrete piece of software I would like to run, FoundryVTT. It works as dedicated through node.JS, but I don't think I can install it in Core, and frankly, feel SCALE is too overwhelming for me.

I was expecting you could help me decide. ^^'

Is there anywhere where I could plead for a plugin for this piece of software? pretty please?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would like to run, FoundryVTT. It works as dedicated through node.JS, but I don't think I can install it in Core
You can certainly run node in a jail... have you looked into that?

It seems the download for the server is only available via paid URL, so I can't really get that and test it for you.

but creating a new jail and then in the jail console pkg install node16 (or you could do node18 or node19 if you prefer... they say minimum 16) will get you a server ready to run their node code.

On the version selection question, if docker is important to you, you can run a VM for it on CORE, or get involved in what is proving to be the confusing world (for many) of k3s on SCALE.

Last edited:

Johnnydement

Cadet
You can certainly run node in a jail... have you looked into that?

It seems the download for the server is only available via paid URL, so I can't really get that and test it for you.

but creating a new jail and then in the jail console pkg install node16 (or you could do node18 or node19 if you prefer... they say minimum 16) will get you a server ready to run their node code.

On the version selection question, if docker is important to you, you can run a VM for it on CORE, or get involved in what is proving to be the confusing world (for many) of k3s on SCALE.
Thanks for your answer I haven't really looked anything, as said I'm still in the contemplative phase, haven't yet installed either version ;)

Guess I will try your suggestion, start with core and try.

I could pass you the download to try? You need a licence key either way once installed to use it. Maybe an old one? Although I doubt the dev had a problem with trying more platforms for his software.

Thanks!

Davvo

MVP
Greetings all,

I'm in the process of triing TrueNAS for my home server.

I had a synology Play 415, worked well, but was struggling a bit with 4K movies, and I wanted to be able to install docker, that, in just that one hardware, was impossible.

So I moved to a xeon 15y system on a Node 304, but was I wanted it to run minecraft for my kids and so... I went with windows... and well, it doesn't quite make me happy ;)

Now, I'm deciding which TrueNAS flavour pick. I think I've got more than enough with core, but there's a very concrete piece of software I would like to run, FoundryVTT. It works as dedicated through node.JS, but I don't think I can install it in Core, and frankly, feel SCALE is too overwhelming for me.

I was expecting you could help me decide. ^^'

Is there anywhere where I could plead for a plugin for this piece of software? pretty please?
I am running foundry in a Ubuntu VM using core.

Apparently, Foundry VTT version 11 and higher requires extra steps to get it working on FreeBSD.

Yet it's much more streamlined to deploy with K3s, so SCALE definitely holds the advantage over Core in this case.

* If you don't want to resort to using a VM or the overhead that comes with it.

Davvo

MVP