amdgpu-pro drivers in TrueNAS SCALE?

PaulPhoenix

Cadet
Hi all,

Hardware acceleration does not work in Jellyfin with the open-source amdgpu drivers shipped with TrueNAS SCALE.

I think I need the proprietary amdgpu-pro driver (different from the open source amdgpu driver) installed in TrueNAS, as per the official Jellyfin documentation.

This is a last ditch effort to ask if anyone can confirm whether it's possible to install the amdgpu-pro driver in TrueNAS SCALE (I know it's not officially supported for Debian)? Or am I buying a NVIDIA card?

g4rf

Cadet
Hi @PaulPhoenix,
Did you ever find a way to deploy amdgpu-pro drivers on your TrueNAS Scale instance ?

I'm facing the exact same difficulty for the exact same reason (want to activate hardware acceleration on Jellyfin, can't), and as it appears, most of the debian commands I need to use to deploy the packages are disabled in TNScale console.
I wish I could use my old Radeon card as it's still working fine.

PaulPhoenix

Cadet
Hey dude,

Sorry to say- I never got it working on SCALE.

I ended up converting an old desktop into a docker server and using VA-API which works nicely with the open-source drivers.

If I were to try again on SCALE, knowing what I know now, I'd go down the VA-API route. If you can get the correct mesa drivers (maybe these?) and jellyfin-ffmpeg (one of these) onto your SCALE box you may get it working with enough tinkering.

I don't think AMD AMF on SCALE is possible (right now) unless really proficient with Linux (which I'm not).

PaulPhoenix

Cadet
Hi @PaulPhoenix,
Did you ever find a way to deploy amdgpu-pro drivers on your TrueNAS Scale instance ?

I'm facing the exact same difficulty for the exact same reason (want to activate hardware acceleration on Jellyfin, can't), and as it appears, most of the debian commands I need to use to deploy the packages are disabled in TNScale console.
I wish I could use my old Radeon card as it's still working fine.

Forgot to hit the reply button. Unsure if it will notify you if I don't and can't find an edit button for my previous comment.

Sorry, not sure what question you are answering here?
Hardware acceleration does not work in Jellyfin with the open-source amdgpu drivers shipped with TrueNAS SCALE.

I'm not on SCALE, but I know it's Debian-based. Debian's policy is to not ship with "patent-encumbered" software. Upstream Mesa removed (in its compiler options) hardware encoding/decoding for h264, h265, and va1. AMD's open-source Linux amdgpu driver relies on Mesa for this hardware acceleration.

If this is the case, it's possible for iXsystem's to patch Mesa to compile with the recently removed options. But then they might bump into legal trouble.

artlessknave

Wizard
SCALE and CORE are storage appliances targeting and designed for enterprise storage hardware. there is no designed way to add drivers, nor are IX likely to add drivers for hardware they do not use.

the usage of Debian has coincidentaly added drivers for more hardware, but that's a byproduct, and often enables using garbage hardware like realtek nics, which should never be used in a server.

basically, if the drivers aren't availabe, you need to get different hardware to use TrueNAS.

g4rf

Cadet
Hey dude,

Sorry to say- I never got it working on SCALE.

I ended up converting an old desktop into a docker server and using VA-API which works nicely with the open-source drivers.

If I were to try again on SCALE, knowing what I know now, I'd go down the VA-API route. If you can get the correct mesa drivers (maybe these?) and jellyfin-ffmpeg (one of these) onto your SCALE box you may get it working with enough tinkering.

I don't think AMD AMF on SCALE is possible (right now) unless really proficient with Linux (which I'm not).
Thank you for the update and for your suggestions.

Unlucky me, all this happens because I switched from Core to Scale to be able to use Jellyfin, as Core's Plex plugin was getting on my nerves and giving me a hard time and a friend of mine's enthusiasm for Jellyfin convinced me to do the big jump.

Many thanks for the links you've provided : I'll try my best fiddling my way out of this situation using them, taking the VA-API route. And if I ever get the gizmo running as expected, I'll reply here with my solution. :wink:

Torrone

Dabbler
Thank you for the update and for your suggestions.

Unlucky me, all this happens because I switched from Core to Scale to be able to use Jellyfin, as Core's Plex plugin was getting on my nerves and giving me a hard time and a friend of mine's enthusiasm for Jellyfin convinced me to do the big jump.

Many thanks for the links you've provided : I'll try my best fiddling my way out of this situation using them, taking the VA-API route. And if I ever get the gizmo running as expected, I'll reply here with my solution. :wink:

Maybe you can try to install the driver and Jellyfin in a VM with GPU passthrough if your hardware allows it?