All VM's show state as stopped - but they're not?

tackyone

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm running TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.1 on a SuperMicro box. This has been up for 46 days now, and I just noticed - all my VM's under "Virtualization" have state 'sliders' that show they are stopped.

Expanding any of the VM's - I'm offered "Start", "Edit" etc. - So it really thinks they're stopped. But they're not (I know they're not - because I can use web services on the VM's - that TrueNAS SCALE says are not running).

As SCALE thinks they're "stopped" - it's not offering me console access, nor the ability to "stop" the VM.

Is there anything I can do to nudge SCALE in the "Hey, go refresh your idea of what VM's are running" direction?

I've just noticed - if I hover my mouse over the Slider - it pops up with a little tooltip saying "ERROR".

On the basis I'll need to shut these down to either apply updates - or recover this situation I clicked a slider (of a VM that was 'up' but the slider indicates it's not) - and I got a dialog that says:

"internal error: client socket is closed"

Is there an easy way from the TrueNAS SCALE shell to:

- Show which VM's are running (i.e. by listing a UUID or reference for them).
- Order the Virtualization system to shut that VM down gracefully.

Maybe I can shut them all down and reboot...

Thanks.

ClassicGOD

Contributor
Try restarting middleware with service middlewared restart.
You can get VM info from cli with midclt call vm.query | jq
You can stop VM from cli with midclt call vm.stop [vm_numeric_id]

tackyone

Dabbler
Try restarting middleware with service middlewared restart.
You can get VM info from cli with midclt call vm.query | jq
You can stop VM from cli with midclt call vm.stop [vm_numeric_id]
Hi,

Whilst a little scary (as it immediately kicks you out) service middlewared restart seemed to do the trick - thanks!

Thanks also for the other snippets - SCALE seems ok, but the GUI control of the VM's appears to be very much 'work in progress'.

Cheers!

ps. This also seems to have restarted a lot behind the scenes, as the box now tells me there's an update (which it wasn't showing before) as well.

neofusion

Contributor
Hi,

Whilst a little scary (as it immediately kicks you out) service middlewared restart seemed to do the trick - thanks!

Thanks also for the other snippets - SCALE seems ok, but the GUI control of the VM's appears to be very much 'work in progress'.

Cheers!

ps. This also seems to have restarted a lot behind the scenes, as the box now tells me there's an update (which it wasn't showing before) as well.
The update was released a few hours ago.