All drives removed from pool

Hello

I noticed one of my disks was faulted in a RAIDZ and as such I powered off the system and removed it, not aware you had to offline the disk first. I turned the array back on, and noticed the pool was offline. I powered off, put the drive back in, and powered back on, but still the array is offline and all my drives show as being not in any pool. Finally, the import pool button cannot detect any pool on these drives. What can I do?

1686062149669.png

joeschmuck

Old Man
Post all your system specs first. Don't try anything until a GURU contacts you with instructions. Hopefully you had a backup.

Arwen

MVP
In general, ZFS won't import a pool with missing or failed disks.

Let us start with full hardware configuration, and the output of these 2 commands;
zpool status zpool import
Based on what you said, the first will only show your boot-pool. And the second your data pool. This would be normal for the symptoms you describe.

These were new Seagate Ironwolf Pros purchased less than a month ago, and Seagate has agreed to do data rescue on my entire array. I did do zpool import before I removed them from the system. I thought it was quite strange that all drives showed as ONLINE.
1686084490439.png

Maybe because the "cache" vdev is not online, the middleware "plays it safe" by not automatically importing the pool (or prevent importing it via the GUI)?

Even though the "cache" vdev is not required to use the pool, nor is it used for writes, nor require redundancy, nor does the pool's user data depend on it, this just might be an intentional design by the TrueNAS GUI/middleware to avoid importing pools without all specified vdevs and drives being available.

Or your console output cuts off the "ONLINE" text. :tongue:

Arwen

MVP
Hmm.. I was expecting one drive to be not-online.

What is the error message you get when you try importing the pool from the command line?

You don't want to leave it imported from the command line, as the GUI & sharing won't know about the pool. But, it will hopefully give us the error message needed to figure out what to do.