All data seems to be gone; please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Spirit

Cadet
Hi.
I have freenas 0.7.2 installed on my acer whs 340.
eveything worked quite well.
today i wanted to add a new harddrive to my zfs stripe.
so i deleted the old stripe, and made a new stripe with all my harddrives including the new one.
after that, the freenas shows me, that all my data is gone.
i haven´t formatted any of the drives again, so i think all my data should be still on the old harddrives.
so i have two questions:
how can i get back my data?
how can i add a new harddrive to an existing stripe.
please help me. there is a lot of important data on my freenas.
Thanks

Durkatlon

Patron
You deleted the old stripe. That is like blowing away the partition on a non-ZFS drive: the data structures that tie all the information on the drive(s) together will be wiped out.

If there is something you can do it is probably some low-level ZFS hacking. I would try to search the internet for this without including FreeNAS or FreeBSD in the search term. If some fix is out there for this it should be generic to all ZFS based file systems.

Durkatlon

Patron
I did some quick googling and there does appear to be some promising information. Mostly it relates to recovering a destroyed pool. Unfortunately you didn't just destroy the pool; you also created a new pool on the drives already. Therefore I'm not sure how much of this applies. Anyways, here is a good search to do, and the first hit that I got that has specific information from Oracle on recovering destroyed ZFS pools:

Google Search

Link to Oracle documents

Status
Not open for further replies.