After reboot... no Web UI or shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

underpickled

Contributor
My FreeNAS setup was working fine with a static IP (tied to MAC address)... I could access CIFS, FTP, etc. Everything was running fine. I rebooted to check something in BIOS, and when FreeNAS booted again, I couldn't access the IP of the FreeNAS system. It shows up in the device list on my router with the correct IP too, but the shares aren't there and neither is the WebUI. What's more is that it seems that FreeNAS actually boots successfully, as the screenshot indicates.

U2EVjVf.png

Of course, now I see this "host name not found" error, which probably has something to do with it, though I can't understand how not finding ntp would cause a problem.
My instinct tells me that this is a symptom of a problem with the network config, but it was working fine and I did nothing other than reboot.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You have a networking issue. That's why you have the host name not found.

underpickled

Contributor
You have a networking issue. That's why you have the host name not found.
Well sure, I can tell that much... I was just curious if anyone had experience with network settings suddenly changing on reboot. Unless the FreeNAS web ui doesn't actually apply most of the changes made until reboot... that could certainly explain things.

On a related note, if I "reset to factory defaults", will that kill my pool/shares/users/groups or just reset the network settings?

Dusan

Guru
Why don't you just assign a static ip?
He apparently did (read the very first sentence in the first post).
On a related note, if I "reset to factory defaults", will that kill my pool/shares/users/groups or just reset the network settings?
It will reset every setting including shares/users/groups, however you be able to import the pool back (it will not wipe the pool).
Why don't you hit 1 to "Configure Network Interfaces" via the console?

underpickled

Contributor

It will reset every setting including shares/users/groups, however you be able to import the pool back (it will not wipe the pool).

First off, I owe myself a hearty "RTFM noob!"... it does of course tell me what "factory settings" means in the actual manual, sorry for that...

Well the static IP is set from my router... maybe if I delete the static and reboot it'll resolve itself through DHCP? I won't be able to try anything until later tonight... trying to gather as much info before then.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek

No. He said he was using dhcp and assigning reservation. Not the same thing.

underpickled

Contributor
That's news to me... I thought binding the NIC to an IP in the router accomplished the same thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That's news to me... I thought binding the NIC to an IP in the router accomplished the same thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
That's assuming there are no connectivity issues to the router, dhcp service is working properly and the router is not erroring.

Want to troubleshoot connectivity issues? Start with actually assigning a static ip to isolate your problem. Then work from there.

When your router is assigning a static reservation it still requires your device to be able to talk directly to the router to receive that reservation. If it can't talk to it for some reason you won't get an ip.

underpickled

Contributor
That's assuming there are no connectivity issues to the router, dhcp service is working properly and the router is not erroring.

Want to troubleshoot connectivity issues? Start with actually assigning a static ip to isolate your problem. Then work from there.

When your router is assigning a static reservation it still requires your device to be able to talk directly to the router to receive that reservation. If it can't talk to it for some reason you won't get an ip.

I'll try setting it in freenas I guess... It's connected directly to my router by ethernet and I've been doing the same thing for years with another desktop without issue. It's hard to see why it would suddenly stop working just for freenas... Especially when the router sees it and assigns the correct IP. Anyway, I'll try that when I get home. Any other suggestions or anecdotes still very much welcome.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'll try setting it in freenas I guess... It's connected directly to my router by ethernet and I've been doing the same thing for years with another desktop without issue. It's hard to see why it would suddenly stop working just for freenas... Especially when the router sees it and assigns the correct IP. Anyway, I'll try that when I get home. Any other suggestions or anecdotes still very much welcome.
To elaborate, I don't intend to suggest there is an issue with your router, but manually setting an IP within freenas takes it completely out of the equation. It allows you to begin troubleshooting the issue in a logical manner. Take out one known variable and then begin basic network troubleshooting from the command line. If the problem persists without the router in the equation, then you can fairly safely assume that the issue doesn't revolve around your router or its dhcp service.

underpickled

Contributor
To elaborate, I don't intend to suggest there is an issue with your router, but manually setting an IP within freenas takes it completely out of the equation. It allows you to begin troubleshooting the issue in a logical manner. Take out one known variable and then begin basic network troubleshooting from the command line. If the problem persists without the router in the equation, then you can fairly safely assume that the issue doesn't revolve around your router or its dhcp service.
Yeah, definitely. It doesn't make a lot of sense... but hey, I'll set it static on the system and see what happens.

underpickled

Contributor

Well I removed the static setting from the router and setting it on FreeNAS instead... no luck. Then I reset the network interface on freenas... rebooted the router for good measure. FreeNAS doesn't show up in my router device list at all. I tried switching to the other NIC... same result: no IP. I get link lights on both the NIC and the router and I tried the working cable that I'm using for IPMI to further rule out a bad cable. IPMI works fine.

Here's what ifconfig gives me from the shell... I can see there's no IP, but there might be more information in there that would help... I just don't know what it is.

Attachments

• ifconfig.png
    ifconfig.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 383

underpickled

Contributor
Well, I certainly can't explain it, but after deleting the interface it finally started getting a DHCP IP... I did the router mapping again to get the IP, but now setting a static seems to work so I'll just leave it at that. Seems to be working ok now.

Status
Not open for further replies.