SOLVED After reboot, boot-pool has unsupported features. I did not upgrade it.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Is that in scale only because I do not see them in core.
FreeBSD can always boot a zpool with feature flags matching the installed OS version if the boot loader is also from that same installed OS version. I upgrade my boot pool regularly to get rid of that annoying message of zpool status, but you need to update your boot loader manually and for that you need to know what you are doing.

FrankWard

Explorer
I don't know if this adds anything but this is what my boot fool looks like. I have like the OP not upgraded it

Mine looks identical after loading my old config into a fresh install of 23.10.1.

I'm confused, that error doesn't make sense as zilsaxattr is an allowed feature for the GRUB2 compatibility set. It shouldn't be complaining about that at all.

I too am confused.
  1. An upgrade to 23.10.1 should prevent any incompatible upgrades from happening to the boot-pool.
  2. The error that appeared on reboot and referenced in the original post, zilsaxattr, should have never prevented the boot-pool from booting in the first place.
Based on your statement, it may not have been an inadvertent boot-pool upgrade at all that caused this issue. No wonder I don't remember it! But what would cause this error to occur with zilsaxattr on the boot-pool?

dak180

Patron
Could you file a feature request along these lines of "ensure CORE -> SCALE upgrade compatibility on boot-pool"?
Unfortunatly I cannot create an improvement on jira; it fails with: User 'ug:31c33858-61c1-44d2-92e2-5e62da5c0beb' doesn't have the 'Close Issues' permission Edit: managed to create an entry: NAS-127305

FreeBSD can always boot a zpool with feature flags matching the installed OS version if the boot loader is also from that same installed OS version. I upgrade my boot pool regularly to get rid of that annoying message of zpool status, but you need to update your boot loader manually and for that you need to know what you are doing.
That is not the only reason one might wish to have a compatibility flag set (maybe openzfs-2.2), even if it is also a good way to keep people from shooting themselves in the foot unnecessarily.

Last edited: