Advice on a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goobz

Dabbler
Hi Guys!

FreeNAS noobie here,

Im going to be building my first FreeNAS system for a media serving/storage (transcoding with Plex will be included in this) plus backing up about 4 home PC's and storage of important personal & business items. I dont want to send myself broke but I'm happy to spend on items that wuold beneft the build.

I have been reading for a long while now and thought I would run my final build past you guys to see what you think. I already have the MB, RAM on the way and have the case at home as well. Im planning to use an assortment of HDD's I have at home as well, hoping that the redundancy built into a ZFS Raidz2 array will allow for any ageing drives. I also keep all the items on this system backed up on another PC in the house.

So without further ado, here's what I have come up with:

MB: Supermicro X10SLH-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v3
Ram: Supermicro certified Samsung MEM-DR380L-SL01-EU16 4 x 8GB (32GB)
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 6
HBA: IBM Serveraid M1015 flashed to IT mode

For the Hard drive array I have an assortment of 2TB Samsung spinpoints, 2TB WD Greens (Total 9 x 2TB drives) plus 3 x WD Green 3TB. All the WD's have or will be flashed to 300sec with WDIDLE3. All the drives have been or are currently running in other systems and are proven to work fine except for 2 of the 3TB which are brand new.

I was going to do 2 x striped raidz2 arrays of 6 x 2TB drives, plus another with 3 x 2TB & 3 x 3TB with a view to upgrading the remaining 3 x 2 TB's to 3GB's as funds and space requirements allow (I'm aware there will be 3TB wasted here until this happens).

Do you think this is the most efficient/safest setup for the array? What about the rest of the build? Any comments? Do you think I would benefit from any other items?

I appreciate your input guys!

Thanks!

DJ9

Contributor
Don't forget to add a UPS to your list. Otherwise your build looks fine.

Goobz

Dabbler
Don't forget to add a UPS to your list. Otherwise your build looks fine.

Oh sorry about that I forgot to mention I also have an APC Smart UPS 700 that I got from a relative for nothing so hopefully it's up to the task. It's a free years old but I've been testing it on my desktop for a few months and seems to run OK so far.

Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.