Adding vdev with different drive size and amount and adding a vdev with same drive amount at the same time

Poetart

Dabbler
I have seen other threads on a similar topic but not at the same time so wanted to do a sanity check to make sure I am not missing anything.

Currently running a dataset with 3 vdev's of 5x8tb Z2's
I purchased 5 more 8TB drives to add to my linux iso pool a while back but didnt have the space to add them just got them on a deal.
Got a used netapp array and needed some parts to get that going.
While that was happening the 14TB drives went on sale and after thinking about it picked up 4 of them at the local BB.
Reason I got 4 is the netapp is 24 drives so it would be 4x5x8TB Z2's + 1x4x14TB Z2's

Main questions is, is this a good idea? This datastore just holds the media to be served so speeds not terribly important but is stability an issue with an array that has a vdev that has a different drive amount and size but same raid level?
Pretty sure it is, but haven't opened the 14TB boxes yet so they are returnable at this point.

Etorix

Wizard
That's not a terrible idea. Raidz2 all across, so raidz2 level of security, and performance is apparently not important. Stability is no issue with heterogenous vdevs.

In raidz2, 24 bays would be best used as either 4 * 6-wide for (relative) performance, 3 * 8-wide for capacity, or 3 * 7-wide plus hot spare(s) for an extra bit of resiliency, but any of these involves destroying the old pool and restoring.