Adding another drive help

Robti

Explorer
So I have 3 drives in a raidz1 setup and want to add another drive, so before I get too many files I am going to move them all back onto the pc and destroy the pool, but my question is what would you set these 4 drives up as Z1,Z2 or what and if I rename it with the same name will my smb shares work the same or will I need to set this up again ?
Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
what would you set these 4 drives up as Z1,Z2 or what and if I rename it with the same name will my smb shares work the same or will I need to set this up again ?
Generally speaking, if you look around a bit, you'll find some threads talking about RAID5/RAIDZ1 being bad policy (since you lose both redundancy and error correction once one drive dies and adding to the mess, you're going to disproportionately stress the remaining VDEV members while resilvering before you're safe again).

Based on that, I would answer RAIDZ2.

Just know that it won't win you any capacity over your 3-drive RAIDZ1 pool though, so I'm not sure if that's lined up well with:
before I get too many files

Robti

Explorer
Generally speaking, if you look around a bit, you'll find some threads talking about RAID5/RAIDZ1 being bad policy (since you lose both redundancy and error correction once one drive dies and adding to the mess, you're going to disproportionately stress the remaining VDEV members while resilvering before you're safe again).

Based on that, I would answer RAIDZ2.

Just know that it won't win you any capacity over your 3-drive RAIDZ1 pool though, so I'm not sure if that's lined up well with:
Only have a few Tb’s of data at the moment as I have just set up truenas a couple of months back and have plenty of odd drives lying about that I can use in the pc to clear the truenas out

Robti

Explorer
thanks so if only for media and photos which are backed up elsewhere what is recommended ,i have the extra drive to install after running badblocks over the next few days

sretalla