SOLVED Adding systems. API key?

dnilgreb

Contributor
Hi,

I´ve just installed the TrueCommand docker image in a Ubuntu VM running on my TrueNAS Core (12.0-U2).
I started/initiated with this command, from the docs:

Code:
docker run --detach -v “/home/truecommand/truecommand/data” -p 80:80 -p 443:443 ixsystems/truecommand:latest

It starts fine, and I can access the webGUI just fine. So now I want to add a system.
That, it seems, requires a TrueCommand account, and even with an account I can not find any API key without adding a paid license.

According to the website, it is free for managing a total of up to 50 drives, which more than enough in my case.
But how to add my systems, if I haven´t purchased a license?

If anyone knows a way and/or can point me in the right direction, that would be great!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
On your TrueNAS server, in the top right, click the cogwheel and select API Keys... then Add one (if you use 2FA or just don't want to use the root password in TrueCommand).

Now in TrueCommand in the top right of the dashboard click + New System in the top right... enter the IP and a friendly name for the server, then either the root password for that server or the API key you generated.

No need to enter a license key anywhere.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Thank you, great answer.
Worked!

vishesh999

Cadet
1. Can anyone please let me know is using API keys same as using Root password?
2. Does TrueCommand allow to add users, add shares or access files on the storage servers?
3. I do not want TrueCommand to have administrative rights on all the storage servers, and be used for monitoring purposes only. Is this possible?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
1. Can anyone please let me know is using API keys same as using Root password?
Yes, that's right. There's no granularity to the API access itself.

2. Does TrueCommand allow to add users, add shares or access files on the storage servers?
The TrueCommand "admin" can do all of that, or grant the access for it to itself or somebody else.

3. I do not want TrueCommand to have administrative rights on all the storage servers, and be used for monitoring purposes only. Is this possible?
The Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) model in TrueCommand means you can assign an account in TrueCommand that can do only those things you want, but the TrueCommand admin account can still control everything.

vishesh999

Cadet
Yes, that's right. There's no granularity to the API access itself.

The TrueCommand "admin" can do all of that, or grant the access for it to itself or somebody else.

The Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) model in TrueCommand means you can assign an account in TrueCommand that can do only those things you want, but the TrueCommand admin account can still control everything.

Is it possible to add a user in TrueCommand, which would then be replicated on all the servers we choose?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is it possible to add a user in TrueCommand, which would then be replicated on all the servers we choose?
Not really... the TrueCommand users exist in TrueCommand, not in the managed systems... they then use the API credential to get the access allowed by RBAC for that user to the specified system.

vishesh999

Cadet
Not really... the TrueCommand users exist in TrueCommand, not in the managed systems... they then use the API credential to get the access allowed by RBAC for that user to the specified system.
I was going through the documentation of TrueCommand User Based roles https://www.truenas.com/docs/truecommand/adminguide/users/

Please correct me if I am wrong:-
1. Lets say I deploy 10 instances of TrueNAS Scale on VMs, Server1, Server2 and so on...
2. These servers are linked to TrueCommand via APIs
3. Now TrueCommand has full control over these servers.
4. If I create a new user in TrueCommand named 'trueCommandUserReadOnly', which has read only access to all these servers, will I be able to mount SMB Shares using this single user 'trueCommandUserReadOnly'? Or is mounting shares specific to each system user?

Sorry for the noob question, I hope I didn't complicate it...

vishesh999

Cadet
After going through the following documentation, I would like to refer you to my initial question, where I asked if I could create a single user, that would be replicated across all the systems, is this documentation talking about what I was initially asking?

sretalla