adding hdd's to nas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikkenjij36

Explorer
Hi there all,just a small question.
I've got some extra drives for expanding my data storage,can i just put them in the nas en connect them to the mb and after that expanding the zfs volume?
It's just for storage of data and nothing important to keep on the drive's.
So just a simple expansion of drive's/space.
Thanks for any help.

Ytsejamer1

Dabbler
I've got a question...why couldn't the OP add the new drives to the system, choose to extend the zfs volume by throwing the new disks into a new vdev?

budmannxx

Contributor
I've got a question...why couldn't the OP add the new drives to the system, choose to extend the zfs volume by throwing the new disks into a new vdev?
This might be exactly what the OP should do. There are a ton of considerations (e.g. single disk vdevs, mirrors, RAIDZ, etc.) before doing this. With the (essentially zero) information provided, we have no way to even begin making a recommendation. So I just answered the question about expanding a ZFS volume. I simplified it a bit to "no" because of the "do not attempt this method unless the system has a reliable backup" (emphasis as in original document).

Ytsejamer1

Dabbler
thanks for the clarification. I am still messing around with my Thumper box and 9.1 Alpha/Beta/Nightly and could have sworn I just expanded my pool, adding an extra 4 disk RAIDZ2 vdev.

gpsguy

You (probably) did it correctly.

Given the limited information provided by the OP, budmannxx gave the OP a simplistic reply.

Many user's think they can expand, say a RAIDz1 pool, by adding one drive. Then find out, that they have 1 pool with 2 vdevs. If the new drive goes bad (no fault tolerance), they lose the entire pool.

thanks for the clarification. I am still messing around with my Thumper box and 9.1 Alpha/Beta/Nightly and could have sworn I just expanded my pool, adding an extra 4 disk RAIDZ2 vdev.

Status
Not open for further replies.