Adding eSATA and ext. enclosure to Dell 7040 SFF ?

JohnAtl

Cadet
I’ve been running TrueNAS 12 in a VM under Ubuntu 20 on a refurbished Dell 7040 SFF (i7, 16GB, 1T) with 3x 1T NVME drives and it’s working really well.

Since that machine also dual-boots Windows for a project I’m working on, I'm thinking about buying another to be a dedicated Ubuntu and TrueNAS in a VM machine, but I’m not too familiar with eSATA. I do know that this computer does not support bifurcation, if that is a factor. I may scavenge drives 4x 4T WD Red CMR from my Synology (which is working fine, but, you know, gotta mess with things).

Any idea if the following will play well with this machine?
All of this would cost about $600 dollars.

Thanks for any guidance!

Syba 5 Bay SY-ENC50118

StarTech.com 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express eSATA PEXESAT32

Dell 7040-SFF manual

JohnAtl

Cadet
Forgot to add this, as mentioned in the Syba enclosure listing.
  • East interface requires port Multiplier w/FIS-based switching on main computer to enable access to multiple HDDs simultaneously
i have no idea.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Syba 5 Bay SY-ENC50118
This is probably not a good option for TrueNAS. Port multiplier doesn't go well outside of Windows due to a lack of use of such hardware in the enterprise systems that FreeBSD (among others) sees most use in.

StarTech.com 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express eSATA PEXESAT32
You would do much better to have an HBA, which shouldn't be much more than that in terms of cost. You could then connect an external JBOD enclosure over SAS cables.

Something like these... search for jbod enclosure SFF8644 (but not on amazon, apparently they don't have any)

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Quite honestly, I'd take a spaghetti monster of USB 3.2 hubs and external hard drives than anything with a SATA port multiplier in it. That's how bad they are. At least the USB to SATA bridges work fairly reliably once you figure out which ones are worth anything.

JohnAtl

Cadet
Thanks @sretalla and @Ericloewe !

Quite honestly, I'd take a spaghetti monster of USB 3.2 hubs and external hard drives than anything with a SATA port multiplier in it.

Thanks for this!
You anticipated my next question.
Would there be an advantage either way to using, say, a 4-bay USB enclosure with a single cable to the computer, or 4 discrete drives connected with 4 cables to the computer?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In the same way that a Yugo is nominally better than a Trabant, yes.

sretalla