Adding Custom Apps/Containers

Astraea

Dabbler
I recently installed TrueNAS Scale and have enabled the TrueCommand app without any problem, before I moved on to a custom app as I wanted to run the docker container Filebrowser on the machine as well. I did get it working but I have not been able to figure out how to properly add storage for the app so that configuration changes are saved on restarts. I normally used docker-compose via CLI or with Portainer and have almost no familiarity with Kubernetes.

I am not sure how to export my configuration to show it here...I will update later with screenshots when I get home if that is the way it needs to be done.

Scale Version: 21.08 - Beta 1

truecharts

Guru
As you're talking about a "TrueCommand App" (instead of launch docker) and we are the only one to offer one (as far as we're aware)...
So that brings up the question: for your custom App, are you trying to use the "big blue button" or the TrueCharts "Custom-App" option.

In case it's the TrueCharts Custom-App option, you might be beter off getting support from us directly.

Astraea

Dabbler
I deployed TrueCommand from the official list of apps and then used the "Launch Docker Image" button to create the custom app I created which is a docker container for FileBrowser.

When multiple containers are involved in setting up an app, a TrueCharts Custom-App is the only option available as docker-compose is not officially supported under SCALE. For simple apps that do not require container orchestration, it's easy enough to add storage through the GUI. In the example below, external pool storage (/mnt/tank/truecommand) is mapped to internal container storage (/data). The docker instructions for Filebrowser suggest it falls in the group of 'simple' single container apps.

ts12.jpg

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
I deployed TrueCommand from the official list of apps and then used the "Launch Docker Image" button to create the custom app I created which is a docker container for FileBrowser.
It looks like you are confusing the official list of Apps and TrueCharts.
As there is no official iX Systems App for TrueCommand in their list of Apps ;-)

Astraea

Dabbler
So I think I need to fix up some confusion, in my first post. I installed TrueCommand from TrueCharts and got that working perfectly as my first app deployment. I then clicked on the "Launch Docker Image" button to add my second app which was FileBrowser which is where I was able to mount access to my main dataset but was not able to get a mount point for getting the app to save the configuration changes to the app between restarts.

I have since removed the FileBrowser app and will be re-deploying using the Custom App provided by TrueCharts or would it be best to do it the first way I tried and just mount it like I did the main dataset...I can see on the ix-applications dataset there is a docker folder with a volumes folder should I place the configuration files there?

So I have tried to deploy it using both the "Launch Docker Image" button which I was able to get the container running but still would not save the configuration files. I tried using the Custom App method and had issues getting the container to start. I am not sure if I am having permission issues with the ix-applications dataset or what is happening here.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
I have since removed the FileBrowser app and will be re-deploying using the Custom App provided by TrueCharts or would it be best to do it the first way I tried and just mount it like I did the main dataset...I can see on the ix-applications dataset there is a docker folder with a volumes folder should I place the configuration files there?
Be aware that our "Custom-App" meant for people with more-or-less extensive previous experience with Kubernetes.

So I have tried to deploy it using both the "Launch Docker Image" button which I was able to get the container running but still would not save the configuration files. I tried using the Custom App method and had issues getting the container to start. I am not sure if I am having permission issues with the ix-applications dataset or what is happening here.
It would be adviseable to visit our quick-start guides.
Byond that we generally only provide active support using our own channels, currently: Email and Discord (while bug can be reported to Github).