Adding 4th drive to TrueNas

jpkl1a873

Dabbler
So I am relatively new to TrueNAS and programming has changed so much over the years that I love the interface as a whole.
But I set up my system for family computer back ups and using a Plex media unit.
I have 4 drives for storage and a SSD for the boot.
When I set it up I was really busy and didn't could figure out why 1 of the 4 wouldn't work.
I now have found it was a motherboard port problem.
I fixed that but can't figure out how to add the 4th drive to the pool for back up.
Please tell me there is a easy way to do it vs wiping/deleting and remaking it all up?

Here is a pic of the drives showing n/a in the pool. But online and healthy finally.
Edit- Here is a pic of the pool. I think the unhealthy is because of the missing drive. But I could be wrong

Attachments

• drives.png
    drives.png
    23 KB · Views: 71
  • pool.png
    pool.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Please tell me there is a easy way to do it vs wiping/deleting and remaking it all up?
Wish I could tell you that there's an easy way, but no dice. ZFS may have the facility to do what you want "someday', but not so today.

You haven't given any drive sizes and pool data so can't comment on the detail to get the 4th drive in the pool, but typical would be to buy, beg, borrow or steal a large enough drive to back up the three drive pool you have, destroy it, make a four drive pool and copy the data back from the large drive.

BTW - duplicate posting isn't favorite here. Your first post was clear enough on your dilemma. I don't know how many posts you need before editing is allowed, perhaps you're not there yet.

jpkl1a873

Dabbler
Wish I could tell you that there's an easy way, but no dice. ZFS may have the facility to do what you want "someday', but not so today.

You haven't given any drive sizes and pool data so can't comment on the detail to get the 4th drive in the pool, but typical would be to buy, beg, borrow or steal a large enough drive to back up the three drive pool you have, destroy it, make a four drive pool and copy the data back from the large drive.

BTW - duplicate posting isn't favorite here. Your first post was clear enough on your dilemma. I don't know how many posts you need before editing is allowed, perhaps you're not there yet.
Darn. I was hoping it would be easy.
Sorry I thought the pic showed drive sizes. All 4 are 4tb drives or showing as 3.64tb in the system.
I guess I need to start over. I might have a external that I can copy over. ugg. looks like a project during winter break.

Sorry about the duplicate. I thought I had closed the browser before it posted. long day and only noon...

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Can you show us the pool layout, please?

You can show the pool layout either from the web UI (Storage / Pools / Pool Status) or from the shell (zpool status)

If it's just a matter of one drive in a mirror having gone offline, you can attach it there - but if you're looking to expand capacity, that may not be possible.

jpkl1a873

Dabbler
Can you show us the pool layout, please?

You can show the pool layout either from the web UI (Storage / Pools / Pool Status) or from the shell (zpool status)

If it's just a matter of one drive in a mirror having gone offline, you can attach it there - but if you're looking to expand capacity, that may not be possible.
This is the storage/pools-
1667940305296.png

jpkl1a873

Dabbler
That's what I was afraid of.

Sorry, but there are no current provisions for RAIDZ vdev expansion. You'd have to migrate all of the data off, and then destroy/rebuild the pool.
darn.
So in your opinion. IF I copied all the data off network folders into a external drive. delete the pool, remake. recreating the network drives for my family links. I could then put the data back? Data being back ups, movie/music files.

Redcoat

MVP
Here is a pic of the drives showing n/a in the pool. But online and healthy finally.
Edit- Here is a pic of the pool. I think the unhealthy is because of the missing drive. But I could be wrong
I'm darned sure those pics weren't there when I posted my reply...

Anyway, @HoneyBadger has confirmed my initial suspicion-based diagnosis. Yes, copy to another destination, delete the pool, add the 4th HDD, make a 4-drive pool, copy data back.
Good luck.