Add HDD in JBOD to existing UFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azertior

Cadet
Hello,

I set up a FreeNAS home server few years ago with only a single 4 TB HDD. The HDD is configured in UFS and has now reached maximum capacity. I would like to add one or two more HDD to increase the capacity, but I do not want to loose the 4TB of data that are already on my current HDD. Can I just add the HDD directly? How to configure everything in JBOD? I do not need backup of my data. I have FreeNAS 9.2.1.7.

Thank you!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Can I ask why you are running a storage array with no redundancy, and why you are running UFS, and why are you many versions behind? It's hard to advise you without understanding why you are running a system that would appear to be against even the basic indications for FreeNAS.

Azertior

Cadet
I have the redondancy on my PC. I am a photographer so I use HDD in my PC for image storage and to speed up processing. The files are automatically backed up in real time from my PC to FreeNAS. I also have an external HDD (stored at my workplace) that I use to backup my important files (~2.5 TB). The rest of the files that I have on the server are not important and I can afford to loose them, these are mostly file sharing between other PC and HTPC.
I used UFS, because at the time I repurposed an old PC as FreeNAS server. The PC is very... old (Sempron 1400 I think and 2Gb RAM). It worked fine so far for that purpose. I read everywhere that ZFS needs lots of good quality RAM. This was not my case. Also, ZFS seemed to me more difficult to configure than UFS.
As for the version... well it was the last release when I installed my server... :D

Thanks for your time!

m0nkey_

MVP
The PC is very... old (Sempron 1400 I think and 2Gb RAM). It worked fine so far for that purpose.
That is woefully under suited for FreeNAS, regardless of version you're running. It's probably working fine right now, but I doubt it'll cope with additional drives.

Azertior

Cadet
:(
I was not expecting that. If I have to upgrade the hardware I will have to think about it more.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.