Adding disk to existing system FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

InGenetic

Contributor
Dear all,

For now, I have an existing FreeNAS system running with 1 hdd (2 TB) , and I need more space on that FreeNAS, so I want to add 1 more HDD (3TB ) on that system, may I know how to add that hdd? Is it just add 1 disk on storage-volume manager?

Please advise. I need information about that.

Thank you .

Last edited by a moderator:

InGenetic

Contributor
Hi Hugov,
Thanks for your reply, for redundancy I think i don't have .. because this FreeNAS only for secondary backup , I have rsync from first backup FreeNAS to this machine, and how about "if any of your disks fail, you will lose all your data."? I mean when my disk fail? When I add a new hdd? Or after running with 2 hdd? Because the data on new hdd will be separated with the old hdd, its new data will be stored on that new hdd.

And... if it's after running 2 months than 1 hdd fail, it will be lose all the data in hdd old and all the data in hdd which last added? is it like that?

Please more advice.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you add a second disk to your pool, you'll create a striped pool. From that point on, if either of your two disks dies, you will lose all the data on the pool.

gpsguy

If you add the new disk as a separate volume, the loss of one disk, won't affect the other one. If you stripe them and a disk failed, then as @danb and @hugovsky have said, you'll lose all your data.

We recommend creating volumes with redundancy, even for backups.

because the data on new hdd will be separated with the old hdd , it's new data will be store on that new hdd

InGenetic

Contributor
If you add the new disk as a separate volume, the loss of one disk, won't affect the other one. If you stripe them and a disk failed, then as @danb and @hugovsky have said, you'll lose all your data.

We recommend creating volumes with redundancy, even for backups.
Hi .. all..

That's the point i mean it .. like gpsguy said, i will add a new volume for the new data . is it possible to do that ? i mean i'm not going stripe the new hdd on that existing freenas , i just add a new hdd then create a new volume in the new hdd .

Please advice ..

Thanks

styno

Patron

artlessknave

Wizard
if you add to the existing pool in the GUI i think you will get non redundant (stripe); if so, this is utterly non-reversable, but will give you the full space of the 2 drives (~4.3 tb)

if you dont care about dataloss just want 2 disks and 2 pools, simply create a new pool in the gui and select the only drive available. you will have 2 striped pools with one vdev each with one drive

if you want redundancy, you can add a mirror to the first disk at the command line ( dont believe this is in GUI)
(actually you can add and remove basically unlimited amount of mirrored drives, and you can add, but NOT remove mirror vdevs from a pool)

if you want to go to raidz at any point you will have to completely rebuild the pool (this applies to the pool that already exist)

add mirror basics:

you should to match partition table on the new disk rather than use the whole disk; i just make a new pool and then destroy it, so that freenas automatically makes a partition scheme matching its own expected layout (I'm too lazy to create or backup the partitions at the command line)

zpool status

zpool attach zeepool c1t1d0 c2t1d0
zpool attach zeepool gpt//currentdisk gpt//newdisk

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/6n7ht6qvl/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.