Add drive to Pool

justin99

Cadet
I have a laptop running TrueNas and I had 1 external drive of 8TB. Everything was working fine and all of a sudden I lost connection to the shared drive (which was mapped) to my main computer. Then I went to the TrueNas and reset the configuration, which the drive that was attached to the Pool is no longer attached. Now, I have all my data there, and I cannot re-add this disk to the Pool, because it will be erased.

As mentioned, this disk is already formatted as ZFS and was part of a Pool. How can I re-attach to the Pool without formatting, or how can I access the data, copy to a Windows machine, then re-add to the Pool and let it format?

Your time and expertise is much appreciated.

Thank you!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You're running a setup that the forums would tell you is a bad idea, so I guess nobody here is surprised to see it fail like this (or in any number of other ways that it might have).

So what can you do now?

First, try importing the pool in the GUI... if that's an option.

Second, see if the pool is visible in the CLI with zpool import

Last, connect that disk (preferably via SATA) to another system with an OS capable of reading OpenZFS (FreeBSD, Linux or TrueNAS Core or Scale) and import it there.

justin99

Cadet
Thank you sretalla for your reply. I finally figured out how to reattach my drive.

In TrueNas, I went to Storage - Pools - Add - Import (there I saw my original share name), then imported. Then went to Sharing, Windows Sharing and added the original share back and voila! I have access to my data.

Thanks a lot for your tip!