SOLVED Can't see pool after reinstall - accidentally formatted log drive

SimpleTechGuy

Dabbler
Hi, Looking forward to meeting you guys. My first post here, please forgive any formatting issues while I learn the system. I've been working on this issue for hours and can't seem to find a viable solution. Hoping one of you pros can give a little guy some support.

So here's the story. I installed TrueNAS TrueNAS-12.0-U7 on a custom build intel based with 32GB ram; TrueNAS on flash drive, 4x 4TB HDD for VDEV data pool, 1x SSD which I'm pretty sure was being used for logs, and 1x NVME which was for the cache. One day I noticed the boot drive was failing so I did a config backup and tried to mirror a new usb device to the boot pool, but the mirror failed because the old usb drive had too many i/o errors. So this forced me to do a re-install.

Now we get into the fun part. I was not physically at the house and had to get a friend to help me out. We did a video call and I walked him through the steps, but the video quality was bad and I mistook da0 for ada0 and the guy installed TrueNAS onto my SSD log drive instead of the new USB. Realized the error after the install completed and re-installed TrueNAS again, this time onto the correct USB device.

After the system came back online I was able to upload the config and everything looked good. All my user accounts showed up, correct services were enabled, etc. But I noticed the pool was not showing up. At this point I began to research and found that I should be able to import the pool in the GUI, but the pool wasn't there so I went to the command line and found this:

Code:
    NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    zfspool001                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
      raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fd7a4278-5bb6-11eb-8f4e-244bfe511d7a  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fda89082-5bb6-11eb-8f4e-244bfe511d7a  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fdec2c3f-5bb6-11eb-8f4e-244bfe511d7a  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/fde32964-5bb6-11eb-8f4e-244bfe511d7a  ONLINE       0     0     0
    logs    
      13944985959988265736                          UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/fd79ef88-5bb6-11eb-8f4e-244bfe511d7a
    cache
      gptid/fcfdcc7f-5bb6-11eb-8f4e-244bfe511d7a    ONLINE       0     0     0

Okay, so this is when I realized it must have been the log disk that was reformatted (my SSD drive). I've tried to replace the drive with itself using various zpool replace commands but it just doesn't work, i'm guessing it has something to do with the gptid. I've read when you replace a disk in the gui it automatically assigns the gptid but the CLI doesn't. And since I can't see the pool in the GUI, it seems the only solution here is CLI. The main problem is that I haven't been able to find much information online since it appears most users recommend against doing anything CLI related officially.

BTW, the System Dataset was using the data VDEV originally. I changed that temporarily to the boot drive for now, but it was on the data vdev originally.

So that's where I'm at. The goal is to get the log disk back online and to get the pool to show in the GUI again. I was able to import the pool manually zpool import -m -a and verified the data is still there, so that's good, but I'm hoping you guys can help me!

Thank you!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you successfully imported the pool with zpool import -m ... all you need to do is:
Code:
zpool remove zfspool001 13944985959988265736
zpool export zfspool001

After that you should be able to import the pool from the UI.

SimpleTechGuy

Dabbler
If you successfully imported the pool with zpool import -m ... all you need to do is:
Code:
zpool remove zfspool001 13944985959988265736
zpool export zfspool001

After that you should be able to import the pool from the UI.

Wow! You're a life saver! Thank you so much! All my hours of work and that big long post and the solution was 2 commands! lol, welcome to IT right? I think I have to get a admin or mod to mark your post as the solution since i'm still in probation. I'll see what I can find out! Thanks again!