Add an existing directory in another pool to VM

Apprisco

Dabbler
I have a pool called RAW80TB and App4TB, where the VM is running on App4TB.
I have bulk storage files in RAW80TB that i'd like to share to the VM in a "direct" manner, AKA not going through the network or some crap.
Is this possible?

Apprisco

Dabbler
After more research it seems that Scale simply lacks virtio-fs functionality which every other hypervisor has.
This is incredibly annoying. The whole point of having a VM on Scale for me was to directly access the files w/o having to go through the network limitations of 10gbps.

danb35

Hall of Famer
w/o having to go through the network limitations of 10gbps.
What makes you think this would happen? Mounting a network share in the VM doesn't mean that data goes out on the wire (to where?) and then comes back over the wire into your VM; all the traffic is over a virtual adapter between the host and the VM. Any number of other bottlenecks may apply, but wire speed on your network connection won't be one of them.

Apprisco

Dabbler
That's fair, my bad. I guess i'm just more concerned with the security.
Anyways, this still does suck. I have made a bridge network and have the web gui running again.
1710933652346.png

However, even though I attached the bridge to all my VM nics, none of them have network access at all.
They don't even get an IP.
I am quite confused...

Stux

MVP
NFS for Linux, SMB for Windows in my experience

Apprisco

Dabbler
The problem is that the VMs are no longer functioning- as in accessible from the network. And I have zero idea why.

Apprisco

Dabbler
What makes you think this would happen? Mounting a network share in the VM doesn't mean that data goes out on the wire (to where?) and then comes back over the wire into your VM; all the traffic is over a virtual adapter between the host and the VM. Any number of other bottlenecks may apply, but wire speed on your network connection won't be one of them.
Update:
It is very clearly bound by the network speed... unsure what's going on with that. I should have well over 30gbps sequential reads.