Make Zvol available to a Windows VM as an extra storage drive? Stuck!

lesserthere

Dabbler
I'm am scratching my head over this one even after reading all the other threads.
I am trying to add a Zvol as an extra drive in my Windows VM for storage (e.g. D drive)
I have a 2nd ssd - created a pool for it then a Zvol.

Under the VM on the 2nd pool (other ssd) - I add device - disk and choose the Zvol.
Reboot.I was expecting to see this Zvol as an extra drive within the windows vm.
I have tried with so many options - adding it to smb share and nfs etc.

What am I missing or misunderstanding? Thanks

1692371436310.png

lesserthere

Dabbler
Now I can access the pool Storage from my laptop \\192.168.1.206\Storage
and \\192.168.1.206\VirtualMachines
But not from the windows VM.
Got to be a permissions issue - what am I missing?

LarsR

Guru
If you have asigned the second zvol to your vm you have to format it inside the vm using the windows disk manager.

sfatula

Guru
You may have not added the device to the Windows VM? Go tho the virtualization screen, click on the VM, and then "devices". Did you add it to that screen?

lesserthere

Dabbler
You may have not added the device to the Windows VM? Go tho the virtualization screen, click on the VM, and then "devices". Did you add it to that screen?
Great almost there - asks me to initialize the disk so I attempt it but get this error message:
Tried rebooting, rescanning, removing the disk and Zvol, recreating and still get this message.

At least it is detecting it - a step closer but...

1692382535325.png

LarsR

Guru
looks like the vm is missing the drivers. try downloading and installing the virtio-win10 drivers.

lesserthere

Dabbler
Still strugging unfortunately - had the drivers installed before but repaired them and rebooted just in case.

Still getting this blank option in management. Tried converting to GPT but nothing happens

1692384495452.png

Maybe try removing the Zvol - wiping that disk and starting from scratch.
Performing a complete wipe of the ssd used for this Zvol

Last edited:

sfatula

Guru
DId you try convert to GPT disk first? Not really a windows guy so could well be wrong but maybe that would create a valid table for windows. Certainly no harm. I sm presuming on the devices screen you picked virtio for the "mode".

Last edited:

lesserthere

Dabbler
DId you try convert to GPT disk first? Not really a windows guy so could well be wrong but maybe that would create a valid table for windows. Certainly no harm. I sm presuming on the devices screen you picked virtio for the "mode".
Yes just there now after completely wiping the disk (full wipe) , adding the Zvol and disk again.
Same issue! After I choose GPT same error.
It is driving me nuts.

1692387065178.png

lesserthere

Dabbler
From the netwrok fileshare in explorer on another pc I can create files on the ZVol without issues.
Must be an issue wth the actual windows vm not recognising it? Possibly spin up another windows vm and try on that

lesserthere

Dabbler
Span up a new windows VM and the issues still plagues me!! :eek:

I wanted to get this up and running to move to my main server as this dell is just a test bed. Not going well as I have 2-3 disks I want to pass through like this

sfatula

Guru
Not sure, sounds like a Windows issue for me but you did a new install too so maybe not. Mine runs fine, and I can even create another one and add it. Mines even encrypted.

You could try erasing the volume. Something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/zvol/tank/Windows-History bs=1M

Or whatever the path is to the name of your zvol. That should write zeroes to the zvol and allow initialization. I would stop the windows vm first and remove from any SMB, NFS, anywhere really.

lesserthere

Dabbler
Not sure, sounds like a Windows issue for me but you did a new install too so maybe not. Mine runs fine, and I can even create another one and add it. Mines even encrypted.

You could try erasing the volume. Something like dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/zvol/tank/Windows-History bs=1M

Or whatever the path is to the name of your zvol. That should write zeroes to the zvol and allow initialization. I would stop the windows vm first and remove from any SMB, NFS, anywhere really.
I did try using the gui to wipe the disk with zeros (long wipe).
Still no luck.
Maybe a different iso image.
Can't think of anything else yet

sfatula

Guru
What ISO image? I thought you were adding a drive to use as a new empty drive?

sfatula

Guru
Curious where in the GUI you can zero a drive, not seen it! Get anywhere?

eskee

Cadet
Still strugging unfortunately - had the drivers installed before but repaired them and rebooted just in case.

Still getting this blank option in management. Tried converting to GPT but nothing happens

View attachment 69422

Maybe try removing the Zvol - wiping that disk and starting from scratch.
Performing a complete wipe of the ssd used for this Zvol
I had the same issue. Solved by specifying the unit of measure (GiB) when setting up Zvol.