Active Directory Users and Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

meelos

Cadet
I know, I know, another AD post, right? Sorry all. I have been messing around with open source NAS solutions for awhile now, and getting it to work properly with AD is the one issue that seems to plague them all. (or rather, most problematic for users to get working properly)

I've managed to get the furthest with FreeNAS. I've added to domain, Cifs and Directory Services is started, shares created and seen via Windows Explorer, and I can see users and groups when doing the wbinfo commands logged in via ssh, but nothing but local from the getent commands similar to the 11/23 post here. like so many others I see in forum posts or bug reports, I can't seem to get the users and groups to populate in the GUI.

I've done quite a few Google searches (most lead me to this forum) with similar issues, but nothing that's been an "aha" moment yet. To complicate things, I'm not that Linux savvy, but I'm still determined to get this working. Does anyone have any thoughts or troubleshooting steps I could take to try and help myself in getting these users and groups to show up? Your suggestions are appreciated. :)

I am running FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64

Last edited:

meelos

Cadet
Oh, I saw that bug report earlier, but it looked like it ended with "unable to reproduce". I suppose I could try and upgrade since nobody is able to use it yet, but I don't see where to find the SHA 256 sum for the beta. I tried using the one listed on the download page for the latest 64 bit stable release, but it makes sense it wouldn't work since I'm trying to update with the 9.3 beta.

meelos

Cadet
Well, that sucked. I was connected to AD before, but not after the upgrade to 9.3, and now it can't find any domain controllers. Oh well. Back to searching yet again.

meelos

Cadet
Set up a new system with the 9.3 iso and dealing with same issues, no domain controllers found. :(

Also noticed the netbios name under Active Directory is still set to FREENAS despite correct/different hostname under System-->Information, and Network-->Global Configuration, and doing hostname command from ssh. Multiple reboots, no change.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Is this on the latest nightly? If so, what have you configured? Any errors?

meelos

Cadet
I just used the beta upgrade at http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release.html

I had Active Directory and Cifs configured. AD appeared to work, but no users/groups were getting populated in the GUI, so that's when I upgraded to 9.3 and things got worse.

Where is the best place to look for error messages? /var/log/messages?

This isn't a big deal if it's fubar as nobody was using it yet (no AD, no users, except me), but I would love to figure this out. If I could get this working on my own as a viable solution to replace what we have, it could help justify the possibility of moving to managed support down the line. I've just had no luck with the AD part on ANY open source nas platform I've tried, and it unfortunately seems to be a problem for a lot of us out there. :/

D

dlavigne

Yup, /var/log/messages and if you make a bug report also include your smb4.conf and post the issue number here.

meelos

Cadet
Thank you, but I don't dare put in a bug report with how little I know. I don't want to waste anyone's time. Since I can't tell if it's an end user issue (me) or not, I'll just keep searching here, looking for answers, and hopefully come up with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.