Active Directory Users Not Showing Up In Create Dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lutz

Dabbler
Okay, had some spare time and got AD working correctly with FreeNAS (painful). Unfortunately when I attempt to create a Windows share dataset, the AD users are not on the dropdown menu. Only local users and groups are. The commands: wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g are showing all AD users/groups. Any ideas?

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Okay, had some spare time and got AD working correctly with FreeNAS (painful). Unfortunately when I attempt to create a Windows share dataset, the AD users are not on the dropdown menu. Only local users and groups are. The commands: wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g are showing all AD users/groups. Any ideas?

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158
Update to latest [FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509282017] and try again.

Nick Lutz

Dabbler
Updated and no good.... Finally created a secondary domain controller and dns off of the primary domain controller and dns. Pointed FreeNAS to the SDC (a clone of the PDC) and DNS and all is fine. Apparently there is something that only FreeNAS cares about in AD that is not present or acceptable on the PDC but is fine on the SDC.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Updated and no good.... Finally created a secondary domain controller and dns off of the primary domain controller and dns. Pointed FreeNAS to the SDC (a clone of the PDC) and DNS and all is fine. Apparently there is something that only FreeNAS cares about in AD that is not present or acceptable on the PDC but is fine on the SDC.

That's interesting. I believe that the DC you point freenas to should be the global catalog server for the domain (and I believe that it should also have the PDC emulator FSMO role). It might be that some of the domain's FSMO roles were in an inconsistent state and adding a second DC fixed things up. If I remember correctly, the concept of Primary / Backup domain controller is somewhat deprecated. There are just domain controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.