ACL system broken??? SMB shares not permissioned.

Roaders

Dabbler
Hello All

I am sure that the system is not broken but it really SEEMS broken.
I am new to this. I know a little bit of linux but areas like this (permissions) really seem like a dark art to me.

I have watched several videos about this and they all say that we should not have all the datasets owned by root - so I changed myself to be owner and group of my shares dataset. I applied this recursively so all the shares within it got the same settings.
I then went into a specific share (/pictures/garage-door-pictures) and added a user to it. I gave this user read / write/ execute permissions:

1700467808574.png

so at this point the folder is owned by me and has my group:

1700467865680.png

and when I try to look at the contents of the folder from my garage door pi I am not permissioned:

1700467916341.png

I can fix this - by changing the owner of the fodler on my truenas system to garage door pi:

1700467966878.png

and then it works:

1700467987733.png

But why can't I see these files when I have added gargeDoorPi as a user to the ACL? I am sure that I am doing something wrong but I really can't see what it is and I have spent quite some time trying to investigate this. If there are some simple guides to explaining this please point them out to me.