Accessing Windows share from Linux (Ubuntu) Gnome

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisemonkey

Dabbler
I've been reading through and watching videos at http://www.freenas.org/about/videos/ .
According to discussion for CIFs, it seems to be the best type of share for cross-platform access. I want R/W access from any machine in my house. I've 1 MAC and around 3/4 Ubuntu computers (none Windows).
I wouldn't mind Read-Only access from MAC but I use Ubuntu as primary OS and will like to upload my photos and Videos from Ubuntu.

In Files app (Gnome file explorer) I can actually see Windows Share, on double clicking it either wants to go without logging in or log in with Registered User.
Registered User doesn't have valid DOMAIN though, what should I enter in DOMAIN field?

[EDIT]: Following command line mounts the share but I guess I need to change permission on server?

sudo mount.cifs -o username=<freenas User>,password=<password> //<ip>/WindowsShare ~/NASMount

Last edited:

wisemonkey

Dabbler
Better option for me seems to be FTP (and Unix share).
FTP is much easier to use so I'm going to use it instead of other shares, I'll use Unix Share as root for FTP share so data can be easily accessed through any type of share / computer.

Does this sound better? Or is there other solution

Status
Not open for further replies.