Accessing Nextcloud files

Firestorm

Dabbler
Hey Everyone,
I have installed Nextcloud onto my Truenas core server and want to upgrade to a more powerful server. Can I access all of my files and photos through Truenas to easily move my data to my new server? All of these files and photos have been uploaded through Nextcloud. I'm trying to avoid having to download everything onto my daily use PC and trying to just move the hard drives to the new server.
Thanks!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can just move the disk drives to the new server and have everything up and running just as it was. And then - if you intend to buy larger disks - you can replace the disks one by one and will enjoy the larger capacity when the last disk is replaced.

Or you can build the new server with disks drives, hook it up to the LAN and use ZFS replication to clone the complete jail, data and everything to the new system.

Firestorm

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply, I will try to do that. Is there a way that I can access the files through TrueNas and don't have to download them from Nextcloud?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes of course. SCP, SFTP, SMB ...

What exactly do you want to achieve? If you are not extra careful and know what you are doing you might change the file access privileges and destroy your Nextcloud installation that way.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Again, what do you want to achieve? If you want to move your existing installation to a new server it is not faster or in any way better to work at the file level. Just ZFS replicate your entire jail and the data and you will have all users, all files, everything ... on the new system.

Firestorm

Dabbler
It was more the fact that I don't know exactly where the files are. In my Plex server, I can directly access the files and I don't have to go through Plex to upload or delete things. In NextCloud, I can't exactly access anything at the file level if that makes sense.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
As I wrote - you can. But upload a file or create a directory by some other means and possibly change the owner of the file or directory and these files will be broken for Nextcloud. All files in Nextcloud belong to the same user, in FreeBSD typically "www" and things absolutely must stay that way. Also there must not be any ACLs on the files.

Are you using the web interface to Nextcloud only? With the Nextcloud client on your desktop you just work locally and things get synchronised to Nextcloud automatically. Also you can mount your Nextcloud folders via WebDAV to have an Explorer/Finder view.

Firestorm

Dabbler
I do have the desktop client downloaded, but I was just wondering if there was a way to access it at the file level. It makes sense how it is all set up so I plan to leave it alone.

garm

Wizard
ssh <truenasHostname> 'ls <path/to/nextcloud/data>' will show you the content from a workstation..
zfs send <snapshotName> | ssh <newServerHostname> zfs recv <snapshotName> from Truenas will move an entire dataset to the new server..

So, do you want to move your disks or do you want to rebuild Nextcloud and move the data?

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
Then all you need to do is export the pool, move the disks over and import the pool. You can do that from the GUI, but do backup before, its easy to screw up. If the new server has the same hostnames and IPs as the old one then it should just work, otherwise you will have to tinker with the network settings in the jail and possible in Nextcloud, but that shouldnt be to much work.