Accessing NAS From a VM - won't br0

bumperdoo

Dabbler
Hey,

Trying to bridge the NIC on my VM but it continually fails. My setup:

SuperMicro H12SSL-NT
128TB - 8 x 16TB RDIMMS MTA9ASF2G72PZ-3G2E1
AMD EPYC 7543P
Samsung Pro 980 1TB qty 2 mirror (VM - Win 10)
Lexar NS100 128GB qty 2 mirror (TrueNAS OS)
WD Gold 16TB qty 8

I follow the guide but I'm never able to establish a bridge.

I turn-off the VM, disable DHCP on the associate NIC, proceed to create the bridge

Screenshot 2022-04-22 174709.png

Apply the addition and I see it but need to test the network...

Screenshot 2022-04-22 174735.png

When the system comes back, I login and the br0 is gone.

Screenshot 2022-04-22 175003.png

I've tried a few different times but the same result. Thoughts?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
VM NIC is VertIO. Broadcom NIC 10GbE NIC.
Not expected behaviour.. worth reporting a bug, but check to see if it is resolved in SCALE 22.02.1
You could try a nightly or wait for 22.02.1 in the next 10 days.

chri5

Explorer
Also followed this guide so I can access NAS from VM, it worked for me but it has knocked my apps (plex and nextcloud) offline due to the NAS IP address changing. Is there a quick fix?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Also followed this guide so I can access NAS from VM, it worked for me but it has knocked my apps (plex and nextcloud) offline due to the NAS IP address changing. Is there a quick fix?
I think you'd have to describe your set-up more fully for people to have an opinion....

LarsR

Guru
Just saw a post in a different thread that changing the Bridge Name from br0 to br1 helped the Other Forum member to solve the Problem. Maybe it would also Help you.

chri5

Explorer
I think you'd have to describe your set-up more fully for people to have an opinion....
My NAS is connected to my router and was assigned an IP address which I use to access the TrueNAS dashboard. I installed plex and nextcloud through the official app page. Plex and nextcloud have the same IP address as my NAS but use their own ports, both just a standard install.

All working fine until I setup a VM but couldn't get to the samba share on my NAS. This is when I followed the guide mentioned in the first post https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/virtualization/accessingnasfromvm/

The new bridge adaptor gets a different IP from my router so my NAS now has a different IP address to plex and nextcloud. This means they won't launch from the TrueNAS apps page.

I've tried using the new IP address and appending the app ports but no joy.

Last edited:

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
Just saw a post in a different thread that changing the Bridge Name from br0 to br1 helped the Other Forum member to solve the Problem. Maybe it would also Help you.
Well no. I forgot to tick the DHCP box in the bridge setup. Apparently it should be ticked on - but as per the instruction asking to put an IP address in also seems odd.

It 'worked'
I could access the NAS from the VM - but internet and outside access was borked. There were critical errors concerning apps also.

Access to the interface was possible.
It is a substantial bug.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
My NAS is connected to my router and was assigned an IP address which I use to access the TrueNAS dashboard. I installed plex and nextcloud through the official app page. Plex and nextcloud have the same IP address as my NAS but use their own ports, both just a standard install.

All working fine until I setup a VM but couldn't get to the samba share on my NAS. This is when I followed the guide mentioned in the first post https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/virtualization/accessingnasfromvm/

The new bridge adaptor gets a different IP from my router so my NAS now has a different IP address to plex and nextcloud. This means they won't launch from the TrueNAS apps page.

I've tried using the new IP address and appending the app ports but no joy.
In the documentation you referenced, there were instructions to manually enter the original IP address. Did this not work?

Go through the steps and let us know where it diverges from those instructions.

chri5

Explorer
In the documentation you referenced, there were instructions to manually enter the original IP address. Did this not work?

Go through the steps and let us know where it diverges from those instructions.
Done more testing on this. Yes I manually entered the IP for the new br0 adaptor but that didn't make any difference. I still got a new IP from my router which breaks my app. It also broke the ingress (custom domain) on my nextcloud install.

I also tried not ticking DHCP on the new br0 adaptop, that kept my usual IP but it must break something under the hood as my apps wouldn't work.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Done more testing on this. Yes I manually entered the IP for the new br0 adaptor but that didn't make any difference. I still got a new IP from my router which breaks my app. It also broke the ingress (custom domain) on my nextcloud install.

I also tried not ticking DHCP on the new br0 adaptop, that kept my usual IP but it must break something under the hood as my apps wouldn't work.

Ideally, we would setup the bridge first and then setup VMs and Apps. That's probably how we test everything.

Do you think the problem is likely to be because of the order of set-up?

chri5

Explorer
Ideally, we would setup the bridge first and then setup VMs and Apps. That's probably how we test everything.

Do you think the problem is likely to be because of the order of set-up?
It could be the order of setup yes. I had a problem with ingress that was solved by starting again. I'm just figuring out a few more apps then I'll nuke my system and set the br0 adaptor first.

Last edited: