Accessing CIFS shared volume via ESXi

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimPhreak

Contributor
As I understand it, you can only mount an NFS volume in ESXi. However I've created all the data on my zpool via CIFS shares. I know it's not advisable to share the same volume with multiple file systems but all I need is to be able to access my ISO's to install OS's on my guest VMs. However when I share a volume with NFS that's already been shared with CIFS, it mounts fine in ESXi but I can't see any of the files I previously created through CIFS.

What can I do?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I do exactly this and have no issues. Sharing a NFS and cifs share out

Sent from my Nexus 5

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
must be.

i have an iso share that i mount via nfs from my proxmox cluster (used to do it with my esxi boxes), so when i download an iso from my desktop to the cifs share (same directory) it shows up immediately on my proxmox cluster

JimPhreak

Contributor
Hmmm. I thought someone might be configured wrong. Just strange that I can map the NFS share fine and see all my directories (datasets) but I can't see any of the files within those directories. Gonna have to take a closer look at how my datasets are permissioned. Can you give me a quick rundown of how you have your volume and datasets permissioned? I appreciate the help.

JimPhreak

Contributor
Well it turns out that I can access my files if I create a map for the specific dataset I need to access but I can't access the files within each dataset if I just share out the entire volume. Good to know. Apparently this is a limitation of NFSv3 where it can't cross over mount points so you have to mount the exact dataset you want to access.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, that is how it is expected to work. Can be amusing or confusing to the uninitiated. Don't feel bad ;-)

JimPhreak

Contributor
Yes, that is how it is expected to work. Can be amusing or confusing to the uninitiated. Don't feel bad ;-)

Haha I don't. I knew there would be growing pains during the learning process of this OS. Learn a little bit more each day ;).

The next step is figuring out the bottleneck with my CIFS write speeds :confused:.

Status
Not open for further replies.