SOLVED CIFS share ask for usr/pw although guest access is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
On my system, 'nobody' is not a member of the group 'wheel', neither is "guest' for that matter. I am not sure what happens if the owning group does not include the owning user, but it seems undesirable to me. ICBW

Neth

Dabbler
On my system, 'nobody' is not a member of the group 'wheel', neither is "guest' for that matter. I am not sure what happens if the owning group does not include the owning user, but it seems undesirable to me. ICBW
Hi, I've also tried setting nodody with nogroup and creating a new user called Guest with it's own group, also called Guest. If i set the Guest acc as default guest account for CIFS the server won't start though.

Edit:
I've also tested to remove the CIFS Share called Backup and recreating it, but it didn't solve the problem.

Neth

Dabbler
Hmm, I might have found the error.

I've changed the user for both the volume and datasets to the username that matches my Win7 user (Neth).
I then changed the password for the Win7 user Neth to the same password i have for that user in FreeNAS, and now it works.
I know I read about that some time ago, but I might have missed that little detail :)

It's abit weird though.... it even works if I logout from my Neth profile on Win7 and login to a profile with different user name and password. One which have no corresponding user on FreeNAS.
To me it still doesn't seem like guest access is allowed, since it seems I'm authing with my Neth Win7 account (even when I'm not logged in to that acc on my computer?).
But maybe I'm not fully understanding the permissions system here....

rogerh

Guru
I don't understand it at all, but I think Windows can certainly remember a username and password to log in to shares without it being the username of the logged in user in Windows. It's usually finding the right dialogue to tell it to do that which is difficult, it never used to remember the "map network drive" credentials. But I haven't really tried much since XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.