Accessing bhyve VM through VNC with FQDN in TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1

cganickel

Cadet
Hello, I have a small problem (for which I found a work-around) but I'd like to see if this is something that I could resolve through configuration.

I recently changed my TrueNAS Core setup to use a self-signed certificate on the FQDN (using System --> General --> GUI SSL Certificate) of the machine and I use that FQDN to access the UI. This work great after I imported the signing CA and intermediate CA on my Windows clients, however, accessing any VMs through VNC now fails with a "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED" message in Chrome. The "VNC" button from the TrueNAS Virtual Machines console uses the current domain plus the path to VNC (ex: https://machine-name.internal.domain.com:56999/vnc.html?autoconnect=1)

The workaround is that I can still log into TrueNAS using the server's IP and then get the VNC connection, so while that does work I would like to access it through the FQDN instead of using the IP.

I'm unsure if this is a certificate issue or an issue with using Bhyve through the FQDN instead of the IP. I did a full restart of the machine to see if that could have caused the issue, but that didn't resolve it.

Is there anywhere else I need to configure so that the system can use the FQDN for bhyve VNC connections instead of the server's IP?