Access RAID 0 drives attached to TrueNAS

roachkazy

Cadet
I have two drives that are in RAID 0 and I dont have a computer to attach them too, but I have two open slots on my NAS. How can I access the files and just move them over inside TrueNAS?

I can see them in Storage / Disks just cant mount them to transfer the data...

1646523445697.png

Thanks for any help, this is driving me crazy!

NugentS

MVP
RAID0 = not ZFS - you will not be able to read those drives without the correct RAID controller that was used to create them

roachkazy

Cadet
RAID0 = not ZFS - you will not be able to read those drives without the correct RAID controller that was used to create them
I was reading somewhere else that people have had success with a Linux VM, but they did not explain how they did it. Is there any way this is an option?

NugentS

MVP
It depends on what RAID controller was used doesn't it. Its got sod all to do with the OS. The hardware has to be able to read the RAID0 first, then the OS

artlessknave

Wizard
you will not be able to read those drives without the correct RAID controller
it depends on which controller it was, some, like the HP smartarrays, obfuscate the disk so much that its basically giberish, but others only put the minimum onto the disk and can be reconstructed if you have the right software construct.
i would guess that you need mdadm or LVM.
for example, iirc, the older dns-323's used a RAID setup that could be read from linux
what system created this raid0?
also, please peruse the forum rules, though it's probably not as important for this question.

roachkazy

Cadet
what system created this raid0?
Just the basic Wins 10 Disk Manager, I am taking it then that only Windows can view it? So maybe Windows VM?

artlessknave

Wizard
Just the basic Wins 10 Disk Manager, I am taking it then that only Windows can view it? So maybe Windows VM
yup, that would be the best way. linux might have the ability to reconstruct a windows raid but windows definitely will.
im not as sure about how that will work in a VM. can you actually pass the disks through?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can read an image from the disks and write that to a Zvol in your pool. Then assign that Zvol to a Windows VM as second disk to read the data. You would use the dd command for that.

Create a new Windows VM and install Windows. Once you can successfully boot that and access it via RDP we can lead you through the command line magic.

artlessknave

Wizard

roachkazy

Cadet
Create a new Windows VM and install Windows. Once you can successfully boot that and access it via RDP we can lead you through the command line magic.
Rock and Roll!

OK, I will get the Windows VM up and running