a small display for my TrueNAS Scale

HansBohne

Dabbler
Hello2All

Just installed my first TrueNAS Scale Server and I really like the system - though still also using FreeBSD 14 an Debian Linux as fileservers.

I made a small display for my TrueNas Scale - with an epaper display and an ESP32 (with an USB=>serial interface) - using scripts on the TrueNAS Scale - so I just have to echo "STUFF" > /dev/ttyUSB0

At the moment I'm displaying, free space, max hdd temp, IP, scrubbing status and of course ZFS Errors - and as it's ePaper also a picture when the server is off.

I just wanted a led for ZFS health, but had some epaper displays lying around

I'm interested if others have done a similar thing so I maybe I get a few ideas :D

Attachments

• truenas_coolerM.jpg
    truenas_coolerM.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 74

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's a cool little gadget! Not e-paper, but we have a few repurposed servers at work that came with character LCD modules that don't do anything without the host piping in data - if we weren't all swamped with real work, I'd play around with them to display useful info.

HansBohne

Dabbler
True LCD modules have a really nice retro / technical look - but fonts are "fixed" and you cannot display images, which is a small drawback.

HansBohne

Dabbler
With an epaper display you can do things like this - when my truenas ist still crypted

Attachments

• truenas_stillcrypted.jpg
    truenas_stillcrypted.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 54