A rather odd nextcloud problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceetan

Contributor
Question: how do I know where my nextcloud files areactually stored?

Background: I installed nextcloud earlier this year following this guide. It worked for a while, then stopped working. Not really knowing what to do, I shrugged and thought to try and install it in a new jail. I also planned on setting about deleting all the data sets and shares connected to the old jail but due to work and other life issues I never got around to it. Then, a couple of days ago it hit me that I had probably been an idiot and forgot and the first rule of computers. That being “ when something doesn’t work try a reboot”. I had rebooted the server a couple of times but never quite tried to check back on the jail, So I really haden’t got a clue if it worked or not. Things being what they were, I tried to restart the jail using the Iocage command in the cli, and lo and behold the thing worked again. This made me happy, but there was a cause for concern. I had realized that nextcloud is probably a lot more useful to me then I thought, and my initial use case for installing it has expanded. Being who I am, I like to have at least SOME understanding of where files that I store in my nextcloud actually are located on the server (in terms of file paths, I am thinking) so I wonder, is there anyway for me to find out? I have a file with a very funny name so if there was some sort of search utility I could use to find its This the nation that would probably answer my question I think.

Bomus question: Is there anyway to show an existing folder (shared with SMB to nextcloud in such a way that the filse show up as though they hade been uploaded to it?)

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
how do I know where my nextcloud files areactually stored?
They're stored wherever you told Nextcloud to store them. Since there are several guides out there, and you didn't say which one you used, there's no way to answer in more detail.
Is there anyway to show an existing folder (shared with SMB to nextcloud in such a way that the filse show up as though they hade been uploaded to it?)
I believe this is possible using the External Storage settings in Nextcloud.

Ceetan

Contributor
They're stored wherever you told Nextcloud to store them. Since there are several guides out there, and you didn't say which one you used, there's no way to answer in more detail.

*facepalm*....yeah, I am an absent mindend idiot. I have updated the post with that information. Howevwr, I have to admit that given that there was a bit of adhoc work even with that guide, I do not remember exactly what I did.
I believe this is possible using the External Storage settings in Nextcloud.

I will try that.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have updated the post with that information.
OK, if you followed that guide exactly, your files are stored in a dataset called files on your storage pool. If you don't find it there, do iocage fstab -l nextcloud and see which datasets you have mounted as storage to that jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.