A perfectionist would like a NAS

spacenoob

Dabbler
Hello guys,

I've been wanting a NAS for over a year now and I would like to now fulfill my dream.

The thing is that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I would hate myself if the NAS wouldn't turn out how I wanted it too. (which lead to the massive delay)

I'm planning to use the NAS as a basic backup storage and maybe later setup some servers or run plex on it.

what I would like:
  • 4 Core CPU with modern architecture as I want good Performance/Watt
  • a mainboard probably ATX (so I could add a 2.5 card or GPU for plex if needed) with ECC support
  • ECC RAM, I guess 16 GB should be ok
I was thinking about the latest Xeon E 23xx Processors (Intel® Xeon® E-2314 , Intel® Xeon® E-2324G , Intel® Xeon® E-2334) because they were launched not long ago and are the only 4 Core models.

The Mainboard choice seems a bit difficult. I was looking at the supermicro website but they only had one mainboard available which had a rly weird formfactor so I gave up the search there.

I'd love if someone could tell me if I should choose a different processor lineup or smth, because I don't know what to do.
My budget is about 1200€ so I don't mind spending a bit more money if it's worth it.

I am grateful for any help
spacenoob

NugentS

MVP
TrueNAS runs on most things. You do however have to be a bit careful with Network Cards (in Core in particular) and adding disks over and above the standard SATA ports on the motherboard.
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X12STH-F would seem to fit the first CPU - I didn't look any further
The problem with those CPU's is that they are a bit short of PCIe lanes, so you will have to be a bit careful. IMO they are workstation chips, not server chips (but others disagree with me). That won't stop them working - but you will be PCIe limited - potentially, depending on what you want to do.
Also be careful with Plex and hardware transcoding, which has its limitations. Its difficult in Core, easier in Scale depending on whether you are using an iGPU or an eGPU. It all depends on how much you want Plex to do at any one point

Consider, rather than new kit using second hand kit - its cheaper. I use a lot of 2nd hand kit - but tend to use new motherboards and PSU's

spacenoob

Dabbler
TrueNAS runs on most things. You do however have to be a bit careful with Network Cards (in Core in particular) and adding disks over and above the standard SATA ports on the motherboard.
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X12STH-F would seem to fit the first CPU - I didn't look any further
The problem with those CPU's is that they are a bit short of PCIe lanes, so you will have to be a bit careful. IMO they are workstation chips, not server chips (but others disagree with me). That won't stop them working - but you will be PCIe limited - potentially, depending on what you want to do.
Also be careful with Plex and hardware transcoding, which has its limitations. Its difficult in Core, easier in Scale depending on whether you are using an iGPU or an eGPU. It all depends on how much you want Plex to do at any one point

Consider, rather than new kit using second hand kit - its cheaper. I use a lot of 2nd hand kit - but tend to use new motherboards and PSU's
Hi NugentS, thanks for your reply

what other CPU lineup would you recommend if I want more PCIe Lanes?
I have been looking at the Xeon W Processors but the lower Core Count are embedded CPUs.

I heard before that transcoding works best on quadro (now A sever series ?) GPUs, but it looks like they're even harder to get now than normal ones. I also saw Linus (LTT) throw a (I think)1650 ti in his Server for his new house for Plex and thought "ok? well that works too I guess"

So does it even make sense to run plex on an iGPU?

NugentS

MVP
Yes it does make sense on an iGPU - if the CPU you choose has one and IF you can use it in the required manner. Or you can just throw CPU horsepower at the issue. If its a private Plex server with a single transcode at any one time then sheer horsepower is generally fine. Look at the plex website for CPU guides

Are you thinking of running Core or Scale and Plex in a Jail, Docker or VM? Some configurations are easier with hardware passthrough than others. I don't have an iGPU - so I may get things wrong

For the record - I am running Core - but will switch to Scale when it comes out of RC into full release. I do have a quaddro, but can't use it at the moment as I run Plex in a Jail

spacenoob

Dabbler
Yes it does make sense on an iGPU - if the CPU you choose has one and IF you can use it in the required manner. Or you can just throw CPU horsepower at the issue. If its a private Plex server with a single transcode at any one time then sheer horsepower is generally fine. Look at the plex website for CPU guides

Are you thinking of running Core or Scale and Plex in a Jail, Docker or VM? Some configurations are easier with hardware passthrough than others. I don't have an iGPU - so I may get things wrong

For the record - I am running Core - but will switch to Scale when it comes out of RC into full release. I do have a quaddro, but can't use it at the moment as I run Plex in a Jail
Hi NugentS,

I haven't really thought about it tbh, bc I would be fine with just running my nas as a backup storage and later think about what I need for plex.
Maybe enough CPU headroom so that it could handle a stream for one person 1080p or 1440p?

The more important thing is, that I still don't know what CPU and Mainboard I should buy . :(

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The thing is that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I would hate myself if the NAS wouldn't turn out how I wanted it too. (which lead to the massive delay)
In that case you have two options: 1) Have an elaborate selection process with a formal list of current and future requirements. Basically the equivalent to the waterfall model in software development. 2) Start with something good enough and learn along the way (think agile).

Of course you can also combine things according to your personal taste. In my view the critical part is how certain you are that you can actually formalize your requirements. If you haven't had a NAS so far, there is a fair chance that once the initial one is there, you start discovering additional things you would like to do with it.

In that light, and without knowing you, I would lean towards starting with something sooner rather than later. Of course a certain degree of expandability should be ensured. E.g. a motherboard that has more than 4 SATA ports (for me 10 ports are nice), allows for enough ECC RAM, and a CPU that can be replaced at relatively low cost.

Most newcomers are not aware that used enterprise gear is usually a very cost-efficient alternative to consumer or (worse) gaming equipment. The global shortage of chips has likely had an impact here. But as an example, my current NAS (built in Sep 2020) cost me less than 250 Euros for motherboard, CPU, and 64 GB of ECC RAM (details in signature). For pure NAS functionality a 4-core Xeon from 8 years is more than enough and mine has never shown a utilization of more than 30 percent (usually around 5-10%).

Good luck!

NugentS

MVP
Also re Plex, CPU only matters if you are transcoding. If you direct stream then the CPU doesn't get touched.

spacenoob

Dabbler
In that case you have two options: 1) Have an elaborate selection process with a formal list of current and future requirements. Basically the equivalent to the waterfall model in software development. 2) Start with something good enough and learn along the way (think agile).

Of course you can also combine things according to your personal taste. In my view the critical part is how certain you are that you can actually formalize your requirements. If you haven't had a NAS so far, there is a fair chance that once the initial one is there, you start discovering additional things you would like to do with it.

In that light, and without knowing you, I would lean towards starting with something sooner rather than later. Of course a certain degree of expandability should be ensured. E.g. a motherboard that has more than 4 SATA ports (for me 10 ports are nice), allows for enough ECC RAM, and a CPU that can be replaced at relatively low cost.

Most newcomers are not aware that used enterprise gear is usually a very cost-efficient alternative to consumer or (worse) gaming equipment. The global shortage of chips has likely had an impact here. But as an example, my current NAS (built in Sep 2020) cost me less than 250 Euros for motherboard, CPU, and 64 GB of ECC RAM (details in signature). For pure NAS functionality a 4-core Xeon from 8 years is more than enough and mine has never shown a utilization of more than 30 percent (usually around 5-10%).

Good luck!
Hi ChrisRJ,

I have kinda followed your advice and got myself a Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6(used), a supermicro X11SSL-F(used), and 32GB of Samsung DDR4 ECC RAM.
The things where I still need recommendations are: NAS HDDs, a good PSU (I'll be using about 4 Drives), a Case and maybe a good silent Cooler.

Etorix

Wizard
The case is yours to pick, especially as you're not really constrained by drive numbers. For coolers and fans, you can't go wrong with Noctua—but mind that cooling drives is more important than cooling the CPU, and that multiple drives can be noisier than a set of quiet fans.
PSU sizing guidance is here. (TL;DR For 4 drives about 400W will do.)
For HDDs, shop around for Seagate Ironwolf (Pro) or Exos, Toshiba N300 or MG, WD Red Plus/Pro (avoid SMR!) or Gold. Enterprise drives may come out cheaper than NAS drives and work just as fine (if not better).

Jessep

Patron
Case: I would suggest Fractal Design Define series, lots of drive slots, quiet, and can be cool if fan'd up
Fans: Noctua
PS: Seasonic Platinum/Titanium depending on price, 400w-600w, depending on supply chain get what you can