A Dataset that everyone can read/Write

johnsiddle

Cadet
I am a newbi so not sure what I am doing.

I just want a dataset that everyone (upto 17 users) can write to and anyone read from or edit.
so far my efforts have got me a dataset that I can write a folder to and if I put something in it from another PC I can then not delete the folder from the first PC.
Eveything seems to end up as read only and when I try to change this I get messages saying I need permision from, Nobody or root or windows telling me I just cannot do it.
My only way out has been to delete the dataset and try again.

How do I set such a dataset up.... Open to everyone

CPU core i5, 8GB ram, Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V M/b, 1GB Lan card, 2 X 2TB drives in mirror config and the latest version of Truenas

jlpellet

Patron
Sound like your pool permissions are not set up to do what you want. As I recall, the default permissions are NOT. You need to assign pool permissions explicitly. The way that I do this is assign the pool owner/groups as guest in Storage/Pools/Edit ACL. In my expeience, such a pool is wide open to all users. I've attached a screen shot of my setting for such a pool. As I recall, I also had to create a guest group. While I have not done so, I think you could create a specific user acct/pwd that everyone could use, but this was not needed in my case. If you use a guest acct, you may need to modify Samba permissions to also allow guest access.
Hope this helps.
John

Attachments

• poll-perm.jpg
    poll-perm.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 608

johnsiddle

Cadet
Great, that did it, I copied your screen shot exactly just changing the path name of the dataset.
Exactly what I needed.
We are, at the moment using a D-link NAS but when we were using Win10, SMB1 kept getting disabled by microsoft and then I would have to remote log into the PCs to re-enable it.
I notice that TrueNas supports SMB2 and 3 so now we are on Win11 and have some surplus PCs, I have re-used one to set up TrueNas, I am hoping things will stabilise and this NAS will use the SMB2 or 3

Thank you for your help.
Take Care and Stay safe.
John