9211-8i P20 hangs on failed drive when booting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertrider

Dabbler
FreeNAS 9.3 Stable, LSI 9211-8i in IT mode - P20 Firmware (Firmware matches FreeNAS version of driver).

When one of my 3TB drives fails (Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB) FreeNAS, while running, reports a failed device and when you reboot you get same error reported here:

"terminated ioc 804b scsi" during FreeNAS boot - you are stuck - FreeNAS will NOT boot.

UPDATE: I have tested this with 3 motherboards using the LSI 9211-8i in IT mode, with a failed drive and you are stuck at error above. If you did not write down the serial # of the failed drive it appears you have to keep unplugging one until it boots or use available motherboard SATA ports to plug in drives until the system starts.

The motherboard SATA ports do work with the failed drive but NOT the 9211-8i in IT mode. Also I have tried with BIOS enabled & with BIOS disabled on the 9211.

Also I have 3 of these LSI 9211-8i Controllers and tested them, with the failed drive, and even tested them with older BIOS - e.g. flashing them to several versions down from 20 & the same issue occurs.

I am taking the time to update this and thank the resident Grinch for moving this to a new thread (& of course the paragraph police). If any developer of the FreeNAS project needs me to mail them one of these failed drives (I have 2) - let me know.

To duplicate this problem you just plugin a failed hard drive, with this issue, into a LSI 9211-8i controller with what seems any hardware, any firmware version and FreeNAS 9.3 will NOT boot. I hope this leads to a solution for I have several of these FreeNAS servers & work all around the world - so running to the server room & unplugging failed hard drives is not a good option for me.

In searching the Internet this problem has happened to others with failed hard drives but they were unable to determine exactly what was causing the problem - I hope this thread will lead to a solution.

I was lucky and wrote down the failed drive serial # that was reported while FreeNAS was running (meaning I noted the serial # of drive before rebooting FreeNAS). The only way to get FreeNAS to boot was to unplug the failed drive for FreeNAS just keeps reporting the error and will not continue with the failed drive plugged in.

For further testing I plugged the failed drive into the SATA port on the motherboard to see if FreeNAS would boot using that SATA controller and YES it did boot with the failed drive on the motherboard controller.

So I can duplicate this problem by plugging in this failed drive to the LSI 9211-8i controller and FreeNAS partially boots and gets stuck at "terminated ioc 804b scsi" that repeats over and over again forever (picture attached).

Why I am so concerned about this is that I was in Thailand when this failed and had to send someone over to the server room to unplug this drive to get FreeNAS to boot & would even be more of a concern if you had the RAID in a COLO location.

If anyone knows how to get around FreeNAS getting stuck on boot with the LSI 9211-8i & failed drive please let me know?

Otherwise I will have to try other controllers until I can get the system to boot with this failed drive - I have two failed drives now to test with to duplicate this problem as this has happened to me on two drive failures. Any comments / solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• FreeNAS 9_3 Stable Boot Error on Failed 3TB Drive_Resize.jpg
    FreeNAS 9_3 Stable Boot Error on Failed 3TB Drive_Resize.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
FreeNAS 9.3 Stable, LSI 9211-8i in IT mode - P20 Firmware (Firmware matches FreeNAS version of driver). When one of my 3TB drives fails (Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB) FreeNAS, while running, reports a failed device and when you reboot you get same error reported here "terminated ioc 804b scsi" during FreeNAS boot - you are stuck. I was lucky and wrote down the failed drive serial # that was reported while FreeNAS was running (meaning I noted the serial # of drive before rebooting FreeNAS). The only way to get FreeNAS to boot was to unplug the failed drive for FreeNAS just keeps reporting the error and will not continue with the failed drive plugged in. For further testing I plugged the failed drive into the SATA port on the motherboard to see if FreeNAS would boot using that SATA controller and YES it did boot with the failed drive on the motherboard controller. So I can duplicate this problem by plugging in this failed drive to the LSI 9211-8i controller and FreeNAS partially boots and gets stuck at "terminated ioc 804b scsi" that repeats over and over again forever (picture attached). Why I am so concerned about this is that I was in Thailand when this failed and had to send someone over to the server room to unplug this drive to get FreeNAS to boot & would even be more of a concern if you had the RAID in a COLO location. If anyone knows how to get around FreeNAS getting stuck on boot with the LSI 9211-8i & failed drive please let me know for otherwise I will have to try other controllers until I can get the system to boot with this failed drive - I have two failed drives now to test with to duplicate this problem as this has happened to me on two drive failures. Any comments / solutions would be greatly appreciated.
i would suggest making your own thread and including HW specs such as motherboard make/model, amount of HDDs in what RAIDzX, PSU, CPU make/model, etc all the stuff required as per forum rules.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
i would suggest making your own thread and including HW specs such as motherboard make/model, amount of HDDs in what RAIDzX, PSU, CPU make/model, etc all the stuff required as per forum rules.
And some paragraphs.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
mod note: made new thread, moved to storage.

This is a bad thing if it isn't something specific to the OP's setup. Please do edit your first post to provide more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.