LSI 9211-8i issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

chomskyhonk

Cadet
This is my first build, I've put together a machine with a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN4F-O motherboard and an LSI 9211-8i HBA. I've updated the firmware to the latest version in IT mode, but the disks attached to it are still not showing up in any of the lists of available disks in FreeNAS, and I'm at a loss on what to do next. Would appreciate help if anyone has any insight as to what the issue is.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

Hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems. This includes:
  • motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration
  • hard disk controllers
  • network cards

Need to know what disks especially on this one.

Have you checked cables, try disks connected to the mobo and verify working that way? New or used disks?

chomskyhonk

Cadet
New disks

HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 6TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Retail Packaging 0S04007
Seagate IronWolf 6TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST6000VN0041

Cables are two Mini-SAS cables running to 8 external bays, both cables are connected to the HBA. Unless I was sent two non-functioning drives, I can't see why they wouldn't work connected directly to the motherboard, as I already have two SSDs attached there.

I hooked them up when the HBA was still in IR mode, would that cause any problems after updating the firmware?

Edit: In case it's pertinent, the CPU is an Intel Xeon D-1518, and there's 64GB of RAM.

garm

Wizard
Do the card detect the drives? If you boot into the card bios?

chomskyhonk

Cadet
Forgive the poor legibility of the photo (the unreadable portion just says SAS9211-8i), this is what appears in the card BIOS, I'm not sure if I should be seeing the disks here or if they would be listed elsewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_134129.jpg
    IMG_20171118_134129.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 370

chomskyhonk

Cadet
I moved one of the disks over to a bay attached to the second Mini-SAS port and it appeared in my system. So it seems there's an issue with one of my SAS cables after all. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.