9.3.1 Update with alert Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having read this thread a few times i'm still slightly confused. I have a Intel 910 400GB containing all my jails and I don't want to mess up.

I downloaded a newer version of sas2falsh since the build in one in Freenas seems to be an older version. (20.00.00.00 vs 16.00.00.00)
Code:
[root@nas] /tmp/Installer_P20_for_FreeBSD/sas2flash_freebsd_amd64_rel# ./sas2flash -listall
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Num   Ctlr            FW Ver        NVDATA        x86-BIOS         PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0  SAS2008(B2)     12.00.00.00    0c.00.c0.08      No Image      00:04:00:00

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
    Exiting SAS2Flash.

Code:
[root@nas] /tmp/Installer_P20_for_FreeBSD/sas2flash_freebsd_amd64_rel# ./sas2flash -list

LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)

Controller Number              : 0
    Controller                     : SAS2008(B2)
    PCI Address                    : 00:04:00:00
    SAS Address                    : 55cd2e4-0-0004-9924
    NVDATA Version (Default)       : 0c.00.c0.08
    NVDATA Version (Persistent)    : 0c.00.c0.08
    Firmware Product ID            : 0x2213 (IT)
    Firmware Version               : 12.00.00.00
    NVDATA Vendor                  : Intel
    NVDATA Product ID              : Intel(R) SSD 910
    BIOS Version                   : N/A
    UEFI BSD Version               : N/A
    FCODE Version                  : N/A
    Board Name                     : Intel(R) SSD 910
    Board Assembly                 : N/A
    Board Tracer Number            : CVRD31130088400C

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
    Exiting SAS2Flash.

As it appears to already be in IT mode, does this mean that I only have to "upgrade" the current firmware and I won't lose all the data on the disk? (I use this disk as the system dataset pool as well as for jails.)
It seems to use a SAS2008 controller so I guess it could be flashed with the new p20 firmware in the same way as a 9211-8? Can I then use the utility on freenas without booting into some other prompt?
Also, there appears to not be any bios installed. What does this imply? Is the bios what makes the disk bootable? (I have another identical disk and would like to make it bootable for use in my normal Desktop.)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As it appears to already be in IT mode, does this mean that I only have to "upgrade" the current firmware and I won't lose all the data on the disk? (I use this disk as the system dataset pool as well as for jails.)
Yes, it seems so. The update is safe to on-disk data, but you can disconnect the drive if you're paranoid.

Can I then use the utility on freenas without booting into some other prompt?
The EFI version of sas2flash is typically more successful in weird cases and is generally safer, since FreeNAS isn't running.

Also, there appears to not be any bios installed. What does this imply? Is the bios what makes the disk bootable? (I have another identical disk and would like to make it bootable for use in my normal Desktop.)
The BIOS extension ROM (also available as an EFI extension ROM for P20) allows you to boot from the card and to manage the card. Since it's in IT mode, you can only view the SAS topology and configure spinup delays, I believe.

Yes, it seems so. The update is safe to on-disk data, but you can disconnect the drive if you're paranoid.

The EFI version of sas2flash is typically more successful in weird cases and is generally safer, since FreeNAS isn't running.

The BIOS extension ROM (also available as an EFI extension ROM for P20) allows you to boot from the card and to manage the card. Since it's in IT mode, you can only view the SAS topology and configure spinup delays, I believe.

Thanks for the answers! I flashed it while FreeNAS was running, went smoothly without issues. Have not applied any bios to the the card I have in the server, since i'm not booting from it anyway. Will experiment with the other card and see if I can boot the desktop from it as well.

BlazeStar

Patron
I updated from within FreeNAS itself using the FreeBSD installer utility that was found at the same page as the firmware download. My update went without a hitch. I didn't even have to reboot.

I there, can you tell us where you found this FreeBSD installer utility?

I really want to check it out.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I think he is talking about running sas2flash.

xCatalystx

Contributor
Hi Folks,

So I'm about to have 2 weeks off and I figure this would be a great time to go around and upgrade all stuff at home. So I just want to confirm the best procedure before i go upgrading the firmware.

Build: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292130 (before they updated the driver)
Motherboard: SuperMicro X10SL7-F
Controller: LSI 2308
Current Firmware: 16

So I assume I still need to upgrade to 20? This version ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/PH20.00.04.00-IT.zip ?
I plan do using EFI to re-flash the controller. In what order would you recommend I do this?

a) Upgrade freenas, reboot into EFI and flash controller, reboot than boot into freenas
b) Shutdown, boot into EFI & Flash Controller, reboot into freenas than upgrade freenas.

Looking for the safest option as whilst i do have a backup of the important stuff, I currently don't have enough space to backup my media since it grow abit to much when i went BD-RIP crazy =P. <-- To be fixed when wife lets me spend $$

solarisguy

Guru
c) [C stands for complicated] :D
  • save configuration
  • reboot into EFI, flash the controller
  • boot into new FreeNAS (the best is to use 3 USB memory devices: 1 for the installation media, 2 for the instant mirror setup)
  • read the saved configuration
  • redo things not saved
That gives you bonus points for keeping your old configuration intact - in case anything goes wrong. Although, to go back there requires reflashing.

xCatalystx

Contributor

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Pheran

Patron
Hi Folks,

So I'm about to have 2 weeks off and I figure this would be a great time to go around and upgrade all stuff at home. So I just want to confirm the best procedure before i go upgrading the firmware.

Build: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292130 (before they updated the driver)
Motherboard: SuperMicro X10SL7-F
Controller: LSI 2308
Current Firmware: 16

So I assume I still need to upgrade to 20? This version ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/PH20.00.04.00-IT.zip ?
I plan do using EFI to re-flash the controller. In what order would you recommend I do this?

a) Upgrade freenas, reboot into EFI and flash controller, reboot than boot into freenas
b) Shutdown, boot into EFI & Flash Controller, reboot into freenas than upgrade freenas.

Looking for the safest option as whilst i do have a backup of the important stuff, I currently don't have enough space to backup my media since it grow abit to much when i went BD-RIP crazy =P. <-- To be fixed when wife lets me spend $$

When I did this I essentially used the process you describe in A, I posted about it here. I would just make sure that your USB stick with the firmware actually works right in the UEFI shell before starting the FreeNAS upgrade.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Also, some people perform customizations outside of the FreeNAS framework. Let's say adding something to /usr/local/bin like unrar, as opposed to having unrar in a jail.

Which is moron-class stupid, since you can run the unrar-that's-in-a-jail in the host environment.

Glorious1

Guru
Which is moron-class stupid, since you can run the unrar-that's-in-a-jail in the host environment.
Well I guess I'm a moron. Do you mean if you're in FreeNAS (not in a jail) and type a command that only exists in a jail, it will work? How does that work? The defaults paths don't seem to reach into jails.

rogerh

Guru
Well I guess I'm a moron. Do you mean if you're in FreeNAS (not in a jail) and type a command that only exists in a jail, it will work? How does that work? The defaults paths don't seem to reach into jails.
The path can probably be found, but will the jail unrar work in FreeBSD 10.x?

jgreco

Resident Grinch

It works because it's a FILE. /bin/ls is a FILE. It's an EXECUTABLE file. But /mnt/yourpool/yourjail/bin/ls is ALSO a file. So when you run /mnt/yourpool/yourjail/bin/ls from the host environment, the kernel looks at the file, notices that it's an executable, it maps the executable into memory, just like it does for /bin/ls, and begins executing it. There is nothing magic about the file. The fact that it's a component of a jail does not render it magic. It's just a file. In a jail. Which to the host platform means nothing at all, because the host platform sees ALL the files on ALL the filesystems and can read or execute ANY of them. You can even include /mnt/yourpool/yourjail/bin in your PATH environment variable.

The big stumbling block might be something where you had a shared library conflict. In which case, compile the thing in the jail as a static executable. Then it'll work.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The path can probably be found, but will the jail unrar work in FreeBSD 10.x?

Possible shared library problems aside, why wouldn't it? And if it doesn't work, why wouldn't you just go and get the FreeBSD 10 version? Or why not even just put the crap in a directory on your pool and include that in your PATH? Or in your home directory and include ~/bin in your PATH? The whole point here is that there's no good reason to go screwing around modifying the FreeNAS base system. The jail thing just happens to be nice and easy because you can easily get a full compiler build environment.

Ellimist

Dabbler
I find it interesting no one has commented about drives going missing during the upgrade. I have an ASUS PIKE 2008 and on the v16 firmware the drives I was testing with were fine, On v20 the drive disappeared. I wasn't worried as its not in a pool or anything so no issue there. But heres the fun part. I had some HP SAS drives floating around so tried one of these as a test. Drive gets detected under v20 no worries.

Reading all 18 pages of the thread I think there is an issue with v20 and some drives still. This is probably a good reason to leave the Rom in place so you can see drives detected before booting into freenas. Much safer to shut your server down if they aren't detected and rollback.

I'm going to test some other drive types under v20 firmware to see if its one drive type or lots.

On the PIKE I have tried the LSI firmware and the supermicro firmware. Also the drive issue appears at v17 firmware on the card I have.

If anyone has more information on this I would love to hear it.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
@Ellimist: Perhaps your missing drives were a symptom of the P20 firmware version on your system? There seem to have been problems with early releases of the P20 firmware which weren't fixed until version P20.00.04.00, as discussed at this link:

https://b3n.org/freenas-9-3-on-vmware-esxi-6-0-guide/

I installed the earlier P20.00.02.00 firmware on my Supermicro X10SL7 without any problems. Perhaps I was just lucky? At any rate, I installed the '04' update when it became available on Supermicro's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.